DIY Hood?

Aqua

I want to make a hood for my tank, so that it's covered, and I lose less water through evaporation, and also incorporate the lights I already have... I have a compact light (2 bulbs) which I don't really want to dismantle, and an old 36W bulb & fitting, that I'm quite fine with dismantling, as it's cumbersome.

Any ideas?

I'm really getting into this DIY stuff!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Aqua,

Take a look at http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/canopy.html for a general idea. It is quite feasible to build the canopy high enough so it fits over the lights to save dismantling them. The reflectors can be bolted onto the lid of the canopy so lights and all lift when you open it.

For your old light, you may be able to dismantle it and glue the sockets for the tube into your new canopy. The ballast, starter etc can then be hidden in the stand. Depending on the width of the canopy you might have to make some "walls" on the canopy lid the width of the tube to mount the sockets.

If you do go ahead leave a good gap at the back for airflow otherwise the lights will heat up the water.

OK, I seruiously NEED a quick hood for my tank - the SAE's keep jumping, one of them hit the light before! Made such a thump! kinda funny, but worrying at the same time, as I just know I'm going to wake up one day with one less SAE! :?