How to sex young bettas

PENEJANE

I was wondering what is the best way to sex young bettas. So far pretty much all of mine look as if they are females :oops:

I have them seperated in 500ml containers so they can still see each other (well their neighbours anyway) and none of them are growing large tails or anal fins. Some of them are still small but the 3 large ones are all females. The way I have found this out is that I remove the container and hold it in the tank with my breeding female and with in a couple of mins the younge one darkens up and shows vertical stripes like any normal breeding female would. Is this the best way or am I better off holding the container in with the male instead of female? Would all young ones regardless of sex show the vertical stripes or only females?

These ones hatched late march so in the next month I am hoping to have some ready for sale but would like to be able to sex them first.

Cheers

PeneJane

Can be a bit difficult if they are too young.

Young males have more of a humped back. Their mouths tend to be more turned up. Females have a white protusion near the back of their stomoch.

Females also develope virticle stripes within seconds when stressed, although some young males will get them as well. The only other way is to bump the temperature up. Even young males that have only just started to develope will attempt building a nest.