My darling fish are dying and I dont know what to do

Gabe

Hey Guys,

We are fairly new in the fish world, we brought a set up (350L tank) about 5months ago, everything has been great, no probs at all. We have about 34 fish in the tank and they all seem to get along (exept for my stroppy platty)

However in the last 2 weeks they seem to be dying, we have lost about 6. they are all small ones. I dont know what is wrong, the tank is clean and the they seem pretty happy and lively

We have started treating it with Melafix but Im woundering if theres anything else I can do. How do I test the water??

Is it possible that somthing in the tank is letting off somthing that is killing them??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

If you dont have any test kits of your own (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) take some water into your closest fish store and get them to test the water for you, some charge a lil and others don't. After you've tested that and it all comes back fine might have to look for any deseases.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your replys! I took your advice and got the water tested, the resaults came out fine. This puzzled us some what. However after speaking to the storeperson I figured out what was most proably wrong. Ya see we had completly cleaned out our tank ie, took all water out, cleaned all stoned ect, Just a week before the fish started dying. We had no idea that this was a big no no!! :oops:

He told us all about the ecosystem ect. Here we were thinking we were being really good and keeping our tank really clean for our beloved fishys!

This is a mistake we will not make again. And will start doing more regular water changes

Would you guys aggree this this concusion??

yeah, definitally dont clean everything in your fish tank all in one go, do regular 10-20% water changes a week, clean out your filter WITH TANK WATER, when the flow is affected by the gunk, and vacuum our gravel either every water change or atleast once a month i would recommend, theres no harm in taking out larger rocks, ornaments etc and scrubbing them to get rid of algae.