Black Hair Algae

Aqua

ARGH I've got little black strands all over my Vallisneria!! I tried rubbing to see if it came off, and the occasional little bit came off, but most of it is really resistant! Is this a good enough reason to get some SAE? :cry:

What happens if I leave it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience it will take over the tank if left. SAE do attack it HOWEVER only when it is in the initial stages. Black hair algae is so nasty. I needed to strip down the whole tank and boil the stones and really treat the u/g filters etc and then set up again starting from the beginning to get rid of it. How are you going with it at the moment?

well, it's not really that much of a problem, it looks like the plants (the vall in particular) have got some threads off them - I tried taking some photos with my phone, but its camera isn't good enough - I'll try to borrow the flatmates one at some stage & set a page up so you can see :)

Thinking back though, I think I've had this ever since I first started with this tank, and it hasn't got much worse over the period of about 4-5 months... :-?

I have to wait until this w/end to get the SAE anyway...

ahhhhh Aqua I found a similar growth began on my valleseria when I was overfeeding (when I had angel babies) I pruned the affected plants and reduced the feeding and the 'problem' has almost disappeared. I hope yours is as easily solved. Good Luck.

I noticed last night (in the midst of a photo-taking session) that the black-hair algae isn't just on the Vallisneria, it's also on my anubias, on the amazonicus, in fact, pretty much all my plants! :cry:

I think I'll have to get some SAE's this weekend, and hopefully they'll do the job... otherwise the fish will have a plant-less home for a while until I can get more plants...

When you stripped your tank down Goldie, how did you clean the tank? Is this a job for me to completely rip the tank apart - lose all the plants, boil the gravel & the driftwood etc, and treat with chemicals (if there's any), while having my fish housed elsewhere for a week or so???? :? I don't want this coming back :(

Hi Aqua,

I had a similar problem about a year ago with my tank. I wouldn't go as far as stripping the whole tank down just yet, first try reducing the amount you are feeding and increase your water changes and maintenance, also trim any badly affected leaves. Give the SAE's a go, I didn't need them with my tank, and hopefully it should disappear slowly over the next couple of months - very stubborn stuff! :)

I have been slack with my water changes and maintenance lately and have noticed it coming back on my front glass, going to have a massive clean up this weekend.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Matt

I must admit, I *am* a bit slack when it comes to the water changes etc, it's just that when I try to gravel-vac, by the time I've done half the amount of gravel I need to do, I've already emptied two buckets out! :o

I read somewhere something about blacking the tank out as well - has anyone had any success with this, and would I continue with standard maintenance during the black-out period?

This algae has picked the wrong person to mess with - I'm JUST as stubborn hehe

Yep black hair alge is a pain especially in a planted aquarium. If you purchase a couple of saimese flying foxs they will help contol the promblem as they love eating this particluar strian of alge . I use to have the same promblem but since i have introduced Co2 into my aquarium it simpy fell off the plants and all that was required was a quick vacum. I also know that fee from tropical blues intirau sells a product called flourish which is a plant ferterliser but also helps removing black alge . I will be visting her in the next week so i can find out more about the product then.

Good luck with your battle against this nasty alsge but don't get dishearted as you will find a solution . Keep us updated

Well, I just spoke to a guy @ Hollywoods - he's suggested Flourish Excel (at double doses to kill the algae) & a Blackline Flying Fox????

I thought Siamese Algae Eaters were the fish to get? Are they both Crossocheilus siamensis???? I'm confused... :?

Blackline Flying Fox is a generic term for the Chinese Algae Eater (not a good thing to have) and Siamese (a god send). Ignore anyone who sells Flying Fox since they never seem to be sure which species they have. Apparently one has longer fins somewhere... get to a shop who can guarantee an SAE. From my experiance Chinese grow too big, eat discus slime, and ignore algae....

Hmmm, yeah, going by those pictures the SAE looks nothing like the rest. If those pics are really indicative of the real fish. Judging from the pictures the SAE doesn't have a sucker type mouth either. It's just a straight forward middle feeder type mouth.

Right, well I just went to Jansens Glenfield, and was served by a very helpful young guy (even though I probably look younger, I'm NOT!!! :lol:).

I've now got 250mL of Seachem's Flourish Excel, and 2 Siamese Algae Eaters / Blackline Flying Foxes.

here's hoping I kill the black hair algae!!

:o Also, he told me that in a month or so, they're going to be getting a liquid black-hair algae killer!! So keep an eye out for it! :o

Fins crossed!!!! :lol:

I've just been into Jansens Three Kings and they have genuine Siamese Algae Eaters in stock. Thanks to Aqua for posting the Web URL to correctly identify them. They also have an awesome range of Dwarf Cichlids at the moment, Cockatoo Apistos http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/d ... _records=1 , Kribs, nice large Blue Rams and another type of Apisto that I can't remember the name of. I've put a hold on a couple of Cockatoo Apistos and am going back tomorrow to pick them up, got to trade in my Siamese Fighter first. There gonna go just perfect in my 55 litre tank at home.

Cant wait till tomorrow,

Cheers

Matt