Clown loache eating plants

KerryO

My Clown Loache has suddenly started to eat my plants.

At first I thought the mysterious holes appearing in some of my leaves was caused by snails.

I caught him this morning, after he had eaten his breakfast, methodically working long some leaves chewing holes and virtually destroying the plants. I actually heard him before I saw him.

I have probably had him for 6mths, and he has never done it this bad before, if at all.

I must confess a couple of weeks ago I decreased the feeding of my fish from two feeds, too one per day. I also halfed my light intensity, all to stop algae from suffocating my plants.

This has been very successfull, with lots of new plant growth now.

But why is that clown eating my plants?

I do feed pellet food to him and the cats, about every 2nd or 3rd day.

There are definately no snails!

Yes he is targeting one plant, it is a broad leaf variety, though I wouldn't have a clue what it is called. I think it's something like Blue Hygrophilia.

Initially the signs were horse shoe shaped markings appearing in the leaves, now it's just total destruction.

clown loaches are genrally noctunal and can get up to all sorts of mischef at night .

Yes i have heard of them nipping on plants aren't sure why it would target one particuly plant though

When i had clown loaches they use to love shrimp pallets Have you ever been spiked by a clown loach ??? I have as i tried picking one up by hand . They have these spikes just behind there gills it potures out and when it does watch out it really hurts .

Good luck with your aquarium maybe you could remove the plant that it is feeding on.

My Clown Loaches LOVE Shrimp Pellets as well!

How many do you have Kerry? If you're thinking of removing them, I'd be more than happy to give them a new home, as I only have two at the moment... It'd have to wait until after the 15th though, cause that's payday :P (damn monthly pay!)

I only have the one, and he is one of my favourite fish, until now.

I really wonder if something is missing in his diet, because no matter how much I seem to feed him, he still keeps chomping into these plants.

They are looking like they have been blasted with a shot gun.

I used to have 3 clown loaches. I ended up getting rid of them because of the damage they were doing to the sword plants. It seemed that they mainly picked on the broader leaved plants (or perhaps that was just where the damage was most obvious) - got to a point where I just got sick of those horse-shoe shaped holes and traded the loaches in.

I feed my loaches shrimp pellers, blood worms spirulina tabs and flake. My plants in that tank are valleseria, Java fern I have six loaches and they spend a lot of time just playing around - even during the day. They are complete 'clowns" :lol:

Sorry to hear about your broadleaf plant - maybe your loach is an artist and sees it as a blank canvas??? (joke)

• 3 weeks later...