Siamese fighters........

farmchick

Hi all

This may seem like a dumb question but........ :wink:

Can I put a siamese fighter (male) in a community tank? He would be going in with Gouramis, Kribs, Black widows and BN's.

I have also got a livebearer tank with swords, mollies and guppies. Would he be better in with them? They seem heaps more placid.

in my opinion.. it is the size of the tank that matters and how many hiding places there are.

I think a betta would be fine in a tank with those sort of fish if they are in large tank (like 3 ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft or larger) but i would not recommend putting all that lot in a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft.

Think of it in people terms.

get 10 people. 3 or 4 are not exactly friends. stick them all in a small room like your average living room size. chances are if they are left for a while to do their thing there will be a disagreement.

take the same 10 people and stick them in a basket ball stadium with something to do for entertainment for example and leave them for a while and (hopefully) everyone will have enough space to be happy and stay away from those that they don't like too much.

In thinking of this example though, i found it amusing to think of teenagers and drunken males in these situations :lol:

AH HA! :lol:

It all makes sense now. The community tank is a 3 ft reasonably heavy planted one with a piece of driftwood effectively seperating the tank (its rather large). I have to keep trimming my plants as they wont stop growing. I have no idea if Im cutting the wrong bits off or not but they all seem okay :oops:

The livebearer tank is only a 2ft but again heaps of plants for all the bubs.

Good one Loopy, very accurate. :D

Its funny how no matter how big though you always get bullies who cross over the line, with fish and people :D

Your tanks sound pretty cool farmchick.

Do you guys find with your Siamese Fighters that you can stroke their back and they don't mind, they are the only fish I have found they like this, the others tend to shy away. And man if a plec even sees you they tend to swim for it, well float fast really.

cool Mystic, your Aro sounds more like a cat than a fish :D

I have two siamese fighters (in two separate tanks) cherry a red one and blueboy, gee I wonder what colour he is, Original I know. cherry is in the smaller tank (60L) so thinks he is the king of the tank and likes to be patted on the back, I can't get near blueboy though as he is in a 4 ft tank and likes to hang out at the bottom at feeding time as he thinks the sprulina discs are only for him.