honey drawf goramis

dave

I have just removed a pair of honey drawf goramis from my killifish tank with the intent to breed them . They have spawn serval times in the tank which they have come from .

So far i have taken about 50% of there old water into the tank . Provded plently of floating plant on the surface plus a couple of plants on the bottom as i have heard thatthe females can get hassle a bit .

I don't think spawning them is going to be the promblem but i have heard that raising the fry is quite hard as the fry are so small. I have bred crosby goramis before and raised them on mircoworm , liquadfry and brineshrimp does the same apply with drawf goramis ????

Any advice on breeding and raising these pretty little fish would be great

before i went to work i spotted a few fry now i has just finsh nightshift 12 hours later i have hundreds of fry in my tank . In my experince with other sorts of goramis i have aways removed the femaleand left dad in the tank for a couple of days . I will try this with these fish and hope they don't eat the fry which BTW are the smallest fry of any fish i have seen .

Breeding Aquarium Fishes" by Dr Herbert R Axelrod assisted by Susan R Shaw

"A small tank, well stocked with floating aquatic plants and receives a generous amount of sunlight. A dark bottom is recommended. Normal tap water, which varies from neutral to slightly acid. Aeration is not essential. Temperature should be relatively warm (75 - 81 F )

Condition male and female on choice freeze-dried foods until the female is full and the male is handsomely colored. In the evening place the male in a 10 gall well-planted breeding tank which is filled with 6 inches of water which has been aged about a day. The tank should be placed so that it receives large quantities of sunshine to encourage the growth of algae. The male will begin to build a bubblenest. The female should be introduced earluy the next morning and may help finish the nest. This species employs bits of vegetation - leaves, twigs & roots, as framework for the nest, forming a compact mass. When complete, it is several inches in diameter and often extends above the surface of the water.

the male proudly spreads his fins and the pair enter into an embrace under the nest. Eggs are released and fertilized as they float aimlessly toward the surface. The male relaxes his embrace and quickly gathers the eggs and carefull places them into the nest. spawning is continued at frequent intervals until the female is exhausted of her store of eggs and then she is driven away. The male attends the nest alone. The tiny eggs usually number about 100 to 150 and hatch in about two days. the fry are free-swimming in two more days and should be fed small Infusoria. They are quite small and delicate at first and many starve. Supplement the Infusoria with freez-dried fry food."

I have had no personal experience breeding these fish. How is your fish fry doing now???

• 1 month later...