Changing MH Bulbs

rossco

Over the last few weeks I haven't been happy with the behaviour of some of my corals. You know - they just didn't sem to show their normal exuberance for life! Also noticed a bit of brown hair/slime algae on some rocks creeping in.

Decided to shout them a new MH bulb. I only have one 150w over my tank.

Within a few hours they were 'smiling' again - bit more polyp extension and colour (especially in LPSs). Main indicator of definite difference was bubbles appearing on rocks like when I first put MH over tank (extra photosynthesis happening?)

Didn't think it should have needed it as bulb only been used for 7-8 months (thought I should have got closer to 10) and looking back there was quite a rapid decline in coral happiness. Even noticed a drop in use of calcium and alk.

Anybody else experience something similar or have I been staring at my tank too long? :o

Without wanting to hijack Rossco's thread, I am quite interested in what MH's people use. I'm in the same boat as rossco running a single 150W 14000K MH bulb that is probably getting close to its best by date. Not too sure what brand mine is but would be interested in what brand and what K ratiing people recommend. Also where they get them and what sort of $$ you are paying for the bulbs

Some bulbs esp cheaper ones dont last as long, the 9-10 month thing is just a guide line. Also with only having 1 light it will be on longer each day, I have 3 Mh bulbs so they come on in stages one hour after each other and the same going off.

found the same with the BLV 14000k

They are so bright that they made my acros look white. even with 4 blue t5 floros i could not get a blue looking tank. maybe your ballast are not right for the bulb.

Some people like them for blue/yellow acros but not my cup of tea

search in some website, you can found aihua have some output with blv at the first 6 months.

if aihua just around 60-70 dollars. that means 1 x blv = 3 x aihua. but I do not think BLV can keep more than 1 and half years.

:wink: