Impeller Prob

Aqua

I just cleaned my tank, along with the good ol' Fluval 304.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

I have somehow managed to break off the little black thing at the end of the white cylinder that goes in the impeller unit... Now my filter doesn't go!! :cry: :oops: :evil:

Is there any way to fix this myself, or do I have to go to the LFS & see if they can help replace it? I really can't afford to go out & buy another filter!!

At present, all my fish are living in my old 36L tank, with no lights, a heater, and a Millennium 1000 filter, and some floating Indian Fern for company... here's hoping none of them snuff it! :o

my 404 did the same thing. It was glued up and lasted for a short period of time after that, you could try that but I advise just buying another impeller. Also check that the part the impeller slips onto isn't damaged, no one was home to know that the impeller had broken and the plastic melted. when I put a new impeller in, because of the change of shape in the plastic, the new impeller broke.

hope that helps

matt

I got my impeller from the bird barn out west. I know the guys, and I also had given them a jaguar cichlid recently so they just gave it to me. If I get the chance today I may go into Jansens. Otherwise just ring around. In the meantime as I said you could try gluing it together and see how you go.

Also do you have an upgraded fluval. The fluvals that come with the ribbed hosing have a larger impeller. Make sure you specify which impeller you want as they are not interchangeable. There should be a part number in your manual that should get you the right part. I'm not sure if there are any differences in price between the two.

Matt

Wait, little black head on the shaft? You mean the one that fits into the impeller cover and the shaft fits into that when you put the cover on?

Sorry, I'm just really unsure what piece you mean. I don't have a 304, but I'm assuming it's basically just a downsized version of the 404, at least pumpwise.

Yeah!! That little thing! I wasn't too sure on how important it is, but I've spoken to the guys @ Hollywoods, and they said that if it isn't that, I can bring the whole filter in, and they can run some tests & see if there's another problem with it instead.

I'm pretty sure it's the little black 'boot' though...

Oh, ok, now that we've got that figured out.:) In my 404s it's not actually attached to anything, it just fits tight enough into the impeller cover to stay. So if that's different with a 304, I don't know what else is different. You may be able to try, for a short term fix, wrapping some cello tape around the tip of the shaft until it's tight enough to fit into the impeller cover and hold the shaft straight.

Hrmm the shaft does still sit in the magnetic thingee, but now that the 'boot' has come off, the filter doesn't seem to go! I've tried using the "easy" primer LOUSY and even tried to suck the water through, but nothign is working! I get a dribble of water, but nothing happens when I turn the power on :cry:

well, it works fine when submerged... But I've noticed that the primer plastic now looks a bit frilly (can't think of any other word!) so it wouldn't be capable of making a seal... Would this make a difference? Boyfriend says that it won't, but it's the only other answer I can think of! :?

Aqua

I went to Jansens after work. Your impeller I believe is the new one (the old impellers had a white bit that breaks off, yours is a black bit) the retail is 19.95. the newer impeller blade is about the size of a fifty cent coin, the older roughly the size of a twenty cent coin.

Not as pricey as some impellers, but still it isn't to nice to have to pay that much.

Try Hollywood for price, his mark-up is considerably less, and I belive they may offer a discount if you belong to a fnzas club. (don't quote me on that).

I plan to join a club next week, so I may be able to tell you for sure afterr that. Otherwise someone in the know could answer.

Matt

I don't know how I'm getting on! :?

Boyfriend has taken over trying to fix it, and gets all sh*tty when I even come near him with some possible explanation! I'm just leaving well alone, having a beer & trying to relax :lol:

HI Aqua

If it works underwater, then the pump-problem is solved. Your problem is the "PRIMER" . If there is NOT enough water in the chamber, it cannot pump. When I bought mine, the primer, looks like a suctioncup, was bent out of shape. But it workes. Needs a few more strokes than with a good, straight one. There is one more thing you can try. Don't laugh now. Get the outlethose ans suck until the water flows. That is ONE way of priming. Let me know how it works. BTW, if there is air in the pump-chamber, it will NOT work, the pump that is.

John

I used to have probs priming my pumps too. :roll:

Check outlet hose is clear of the water

Check inlet hose is under water

Pump the primer half a dozen times with pump turned off

Then turn on pump

(priming should be done with pump off)

My outlet had dipped into the water and it caused many probs getting the priming to work.

Sounds simple but it took me ages to figure the stupid thing out, hope it helps....

PS parts for the filters can be ordered from most the shops and can be really cheap, I broke my clip off and it cost $4.50 so don't try and do a number 8 wire job (like i was tempted to do), because you could make it worse.... :wink:

peety

Right, well. I owe the boyfriend BIG TIME :P

He's figured out that we need to keep the suction going, and then turn the filter on, and away she goes! :) So it's all good now, disaster averted, now all I have to do is re-arrange the tank (we've made a mess of it filling and then trying to get the filter to go, and put the heater back in, and put the fish back in!!! :o

Cheers all :)