will different species inter-breed???

farmchick

Hi all you experts out there.................

This may seem like a dumb question to those in the know but here goes....

I have been afflicted by what seems to be referred to as MTS!!! :-? :-?

I have a 3ft community tank that is housing gouramis, bn's and a proud pair of krib parents and I just added a 2ft that is now housing some swords, guppies and mollies. The 1ft is currently empty.

my question is, will mollies and swords cross-breed? The swords I got on the weekend have produced about 30 fry overnight but the mollies are also ready to drop their babies. I have 3 female swords, 1 male sword, 3 female mollies and 2 males.

Will they all be okay together?

from what i know Platties and swordtails can crossbreed.

But mollies can't breed with swordtails. They are a bit too different. Mollies are more closely related to guppies than swords but they can't interbreed either.

most fish usually prefer their own species.

i have a tank full of swords and all the boys usually have a prefered female. they probably know which is the lady they will have the best luck with!

hope this helps!

Swords and platies will crossbreed. Guppies and platies won't, nor will mollies and platies or mollies and guppies. All are members of the Poeciliidae family which are freshwater live bearing fish.

This doesn't mean they might not TRY to interbreed. The males are notoriously not fussy what they attempt to breed with.

Been there, done that as well. Maybe I have OCD??? :roll:

I have one at home, have one on lease, my sister has 2 at home, 1 on lease and one in foal to the new German hanovarian, Limonit.

So residing in animal bliss on a west auckland lifestyle block are:

:) 4 horses

:-? 4 dogs

:lol: 4 cats

:cry: 15 chickens

:D 1 3ft community (with baby krib bubs)

:wink: 1 2ft livebearer tank (with sword bubs)

1 empty 1ft (mmmmm, what next for this one??)

1 4ft cichlid tank (lots of nasties)

and 1 hugely anticipated 8ft tank awaiting its stand..........

Oh yeh, and then theres some people to administer the daily feeding requirements............. :lol:

farmgirl we sound very much alike :) my small property on auckland nothshore has

5 cats

1 bird

1dog

and 6 tanks plus a pond.

out on coatsville i have my pony but if we lived on a farm all hell would break losse as i know mum wants sheep,pigs and chickens agen :).

do u go on horsetalk ? if u do im dancing_horses...

Hey Caryl

I forgot................. :oops:

and a pond!! With about 30 goldfish, some frogs and on the odd occasion..... a border collie!!!! :evil:

I now have some more molly babies!! YAY and some guppies are looking like they are fit to burst!!! :-?

Candy, I dont get on horsetalk much. I occasionaly have a lot at the for sales but them quickly remember how many mouths there are already demanding feeding when I get home.