discus hole in head disease, angels flesh would disease

obie trice

hi all, it would be great to hear from anyone who has experienced the above? i have a discus with 4 small holes it its head, i have received pills form the vet and so far it is not doing anything. i have discussed with another guy on these forums who also has had the same prob and his got cured. i also have an angel with a wound (dont know what it is) which wont get better. any ideas?

post here or email me:

[email protected]

cheers

What did the vet give you? Vets usually don't know a lot about fish diseases so I'm surprised to hear that.

Hole in the Head (HitH) in discus is usually caused by stress or poor conditions. Check out the following site and read up on the flagellates that cause it and the proper courses of treatment with Metronidazole.

Lastly I should mention that discus have many tiny holes over their head which are sensors and nostrils. I did read a previous post where you though your discus had white spot so I assume that the cysts have fallen away leaving holes? This is symptomatic of hexamatia (HitH) and it sounds like you've identified it properly and should be able to treat it accordingly.

Aside from one or two breeders that aren't on these forums I'm probably the closest thing to a local discus expert that you can find. Upper Hutt is just a short drive from you, come out and I'll give you some pointers.

http://article.dphnet.com/cat-02/spironucleus.shtml

Oh, and keeping Angels and discus can be a bad idea. Angels carry worms and parasites that can be harmless to them but harmful to discus. Is the angel in the same tank with the discus? HitH is passed via ingestion of fecal matter so there is a possibility that you angel has contracted HitH as well if your discus are infected.

put the discus in a bare bottom tank and treat with metro for 7-10 days.

Do a 50% waterchange and redose everyday. Increase the temp to 33-35 degrees.

After the treatment continue to do 50% waterchange daily. The HITH will heal up.

Most probably cause by bad water quality.

Ron

i got it off a friend who owns a fish shop and he is friends with the local vet, the vet just gives him whatever he needs without the consultation fees. i paid 2.50 a pill i think and that was 200mg or something (havent looked at them in ages). if you ring around local vets, explain the situation, perhaps gather some info on hex/HITH and some pics of your fish and pics to compare and take it down the vet might be willing to have a flick over it and prescribe you without the fees.

good luck!

Importers pay THOUSANDS of dollars to get those meds licensed in NZ for resale, which is why we have such a sad range compared with the "rest of the world". For instance, I have a small pile of Fluke Tabs over here as I bought out the stock from a LFS when I heard the license wasn't going to be renewed by the importer/wholesaler. True to form I haven't seen it on the shelves since.

There are restrictions here to on drugs too. :( Metro is a restricted drug here too,

I am lucky to of found a couple who will give out limited supplies. As in the first time, I took a book in with a picture & descritpion of the disease, I said the fish is to sick to move, took photo of fish with me. {Discus} I made sure I knew what I was talking about, as in named the symptons, what the fish looked like, named the terms.....They never charged me with a consultation fee, as he laughed at the fact I knew more about it than him. He did say he was meant to see the fish, but how will authorities know he didn't? It was all recorded, easy done.

The other vet, turns out to be regular of Brads family & mine{dogs, cats....} they are nice people. They believe Brad knows what he is talking about :o :lol: Will give him very limited doses.

So see if you can find a friendly vet, you may be lucky. I was lucky first time around. I was working for a lfs, knew the name of a fish vet guru{now living in Tassy} & my boss at the time knows fish diseases by scientific name{geek lol}

Try your luck....

Frenchy :D

i agree, the person i got my metro off has been in the hobby for yonks and is good friends of the vet. the vet knows if the guy wants it he needs it, its not to hand out willy nilly and its never large amounts, normally only enough for one or two treatments. vets dont often know much about fish and most of the time when we need these hard to get meds its for problems you cant often see in a fresh bag of water. what if the fish isnt doing white poops when your in the vets room? what if the worms (camallanus) have gone back inside the fish (which they do). i know theyre supposed to see the fish, but if you dont know anything about it how are you supposed to be able to diagnose it?

i would do as much reading as possible, google heximita (sp) and go through it, print out pages and highlight the symptoms your fish has, take pictures etc and pop down and see if they can do anything. if not at least you tried :wink: if you know what your talking about it shows your more legitimate and have done your homework