Anyone with puffers... I need your advice!

racing6pack

Hey. I've researched everywhere I can think of to find info on Dwarf/Malabar/Bumblebee/etc Puffers. I have run into a quite controversial question and I wondered if anyone knew where I might find the answer.

Are dwarf puffers freshwater or brackish water?

I've read FW, I've read FW when babies and then BW, I've read BW will kill them after a while, I've read slightly BW... seems no one really knows! From what I've read, the one thing everyone agrees on is that they're found naturally in India (which is the main source of the dp's you see in lfs) and would indicate they're truly freshwater only.

So, please give me your thoughts, experiences, or websites so I can try to find out more before I set up these little guys' home permanently.

PS-My puffs are in FW now b/c they're babies, but they will have their own tank, which can be set-up either way. I'm thinking BW, because that's what I've read more often than not.

Have you seen Ren's Puffer Page?

http://www.rr.iij4u.or.jp/~kohda/en/en-dwarfpuffer.htm

He has bred them and tells how he did it in great detail, with pictures. I found this page after going to

http://puffernet.tripod.com/main.html

The Puffernet Page was interesting too. Both these pages say this particular puffer Tetraodon travancoricus is a freshwater species.Since Ren has bred them I guess he would know!

Good luck!