White Spot Guppies

Pawz

In my new tank I have around 25 guppies, 2 bristles and 2 sucking cat fish ( look like golden alge eaters but are blk n white)

About 10-15 of my guppies have white spot.

My temp is 28.

Its a 60L tank. The white spot has come from the guppies i got today. I didnt check them before I picked them.

Im wanting to know if I should use the WS med or the salt trick and turn temp up.

not sure how high guppies can handle temps but if they can 29 would be good to speed up the life cycle once you start treating :)

its up to you whether you use salt or meds, i always like to try natural first if i think i have time.

if you choose to use salt its 1tbsp per 40L of water (its normally 1tbsp per 20L but you have BN). only replace what you take out as it does not evaporate. keep that up for a week or two and then slowly w/c it out, you need to keep the treatment up for a while cause any unhatched cysts can infect the tank again real easy. doing very thorough gravel siphons will help get some of the cysts out too.

if you go with the meds its probably best to half dose. BN are sensitive to many meds as they are scaleless. if they seem fine and the ws isnt going away you can try increasing it slowly but keep your eye on them. some meds require increased airation etc also.

good luck and be persistant :bounce:

IMO, increasing temps and adding salt just hurts plants and gives you a few weeks of headaches with WS coming back. That WS med you can pick up from any LFS is quick, easy and barely makes a dent in the wallet. Haven't had it hurt any fish, either.

The black and white sucker fish are Otocinclus Catfish and very cool fish. Take care of them :)

Oh, then probably not Ottos (RRP $15 each) so most probably the non-golden-golden-algae-eaters like you described ;) a.k.a. Chinese algae eaters.

So yeah, u gonna do the salt or meds? They both work, it's a matter of preference. I shouldn't have knocked the salt like I did (soz Sharn!) as I'm sure it works for lots of folks. I'm a plant man and the only salt I use is for hatching brine shrimp ;)

no worries blue 8)

while meds are used alot i just dont trust the directions on the packs anymore, had too many mishaps with meds and following directions :( damaging the plants a bit doesnt worry me, its not like i have a stunning setup :lol:

salt (when used properly) is a great natural cure/help for alot of things but its not your plants best friend :lol:

Check the water in your tank. It is possible your ammonia etc levels are too high. The original inhabitants have got used to less than ideal conditions but the new fish can't cope with the sudden introduction and die, leaving the originals happy as Larry.

Of course, the new guppies may have got the white spot from the stress of transport etc. but not necessarily.

In my new tank I have around 25 guppies, 2 bristles and 2 sucking cat fish ( look like golden alge eaters but are blk n white)

About 10-15 of my guppies have white spot.

My temp is 28.

Its a 60L tank. The white spot has come from the guppies i got today. I didnt check them before I picked them.

Im wanting to know if I should use the WS med or the salt trick and turn temp up.

You have 29 fish in a NEW tank ?!?!? :o:o:o:o:o