Plant info...help wanted

ChrisMack

Hi all,

Could someone help me out with some info on the following plants:

Mouse Ear

Borneo Sword Plant

Sorry I cant give you Scientific names (the above are the names that the shop displayed them as) I have had a look on a few sites and cant even find the names, any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

CM

Click on the fnzas.org is here logo at the top of the page. You will find our Plant database to get you started.

Mouse ear - Saururus cernuus

pH: 6.8 0 7.4

Temp: 18 - 24

Needs good light and is very hardy. Often grown out of water as a bog plant

Borneo Sword - Spathiphyllum wallisii

Not a true aquatic plant and will eventually die in the aquarium. Luckily it grows very slowly when underwater.

pH: 6.8 - 7.0

Temp: 15 - 24

Also called Peace Lily (I have one in my bathroom)

As Caryl says, its also known as a peace lilly. You can buy them from a plant shop like Palmers at about half the price of an Aquarium shop. You'll also get 2-4 plants in the same pot that can be easiler separated.

Also as Caryl says, they are not a true aquatic plant. They hold their own for a while and may even grow a bit. After 6-8 months (at best) they will start to die in most tanks. You are far better off getting a similar Echinodorus plant (amazonicus, bleheri...) or for lower light slower growing use Anubias barteri.

Thanks for all the info on the above mentioned plants.......

As for the Borneo Sword Plant......is it possible that it might have been labelled wrong, the plant in question has a sort of bamboo like (green) stem with the leaves growing off that at regular intervals, yes the leaves are rather lily like, but it doesn't really resemble the peace lily that I know of (if my memory serves me right anyway!) :roll: I cant seem to find anything on Pauls site that looks like it either.

Next question....You'll be sick of them soon! :wink:

Has anyone ever heard of a plant called "scarlet leaf" it looks a lot like silver beet, is green on the tops of the leaves, and red on the underside, from what I've been told it requires a lot of light (most red plants do from what I hear) can anyone give me some info on this plant also......?

Thanks in advance.......surely I'll run out of questions soon!

CM

After studying my peace lily closely, I see it has one, but occasionally two, leaves per stalk and these leaves form at the end of the stalk, not part way down. I would say the one you saw may be misnamed.

The scarlet leaf is possibly a form of Ludwigia. It is green on the top of the leaf and red underneath. Can't say it looks like silver beet though.

A plant sometimes seen is cherry leaf, sometimes called temple leaf, Hygrophila corymbosa syn. Nomaphila stricta.

Another possibility may be Barclaya longifolia. Though the red form has red upper leaves. Can you post a pic? There are a number of red plants available now.

Most red plants require a lot of light to keep their redness.

Run a search for your scarlet leaf with Google click the images tab and use the name ' Hemigraphis ' then press search, , You should find all that you need.

Let me know if the plants that show up are not the one that you have.

Did you check out Anubias? for the lilly looking bamboo one :roll: lol :wink: