Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vanishing BN catfish

Featured Replies

:( Well a few months ago I had 2 adult and 6 juvenille BN catfish, happily swimming around my 450L tank. Fed them courgette, algae tabs, and always made sure enough of all other food hit the bottom.

Tank has piece of driftwood, plenty of plants and a few scattered caves.

Temp is ususally around 26-27 D Celcius.

I do regular water changes. There is nothing unusual about the tank at all.

I did have a couple danio's with what some suggested was dropsy, and promptly got rid of them. None of the other 50 plus fish have shown any signs of distress.

About a month ago I noticed the juvenilles were down in numbers.

Then two weeks ago I found my male dead in one corner of the tank.

Now I can't find my adult female. Haven't seen her for a few days now.

I suspect they have been eaten.

What I want to know is:

What would have caused my bristle noses to die off??

I thought they were a pretty hardy fish.

(edited a couple spelling mistakes)

Depending on what else is in the tank, something could be eating the fry or fighting with the BN to get at eggs.

I've had a few spawnings of BN in my big community tank and only a handful have survived long enough for me to move em to another tank.

  • Author

Thanks for the replies.

My female turned up yesterday, after many days in hiding.

She seems none the worse for wear.

Perhaps her curiosity of the new plec drew her out.

She's been trying to make friends lol.

Am happy that I still have her.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.