hows it?

jiba

hi everyone. newbie to the forums here :D

after keeping goldfish for around 5 years i recently made the step up to tropical fish.

i have a reasonably small tank 24x12x12 at the moment with a few pieces of driftwood, some rocks and a few live plants (which i am unsure of the names) i have a 150w heater and a single 20w reflector light, a corner mounted internal power filter and a long air stone purely for decoration which my fish seem to find rather amusing :o

at the moment i have 5 zebra danios and am a little unsure of where to head from here. I was thinking about getting an algae eater or 2 of some description but am not 100% sure of what will be compatible with my tank size (im not looking to get a new tank just yet)

anyway i look forward to your replies

bye for now

Hi jiba and welcome to the fishroom. A couple of bristlenoses would be ideal for your tank. They look like plecostomuses (plecostomi?) but, unlike the plecs which grow over 30cm, the bristlenoses (Ancistrus sp) only get to about 10cm. They are very peaceful and help keep certain types of algae down.

Try and avoid the algae eaters commonly sold as Chinese Algae Eaters as they can harrass other fish. Siamese Algae Eaters will get a bit territorial as they grow.

If you just wanted some bottom dwellers, not ones to particularly eat algae, there is a wide range of corydoras species available. These are in the shops under various names such as peppered cat, bronze cory, albino cory etc.

I suggest you get in touch with the Waikato Aquarium Society as they can be a lot of help to you (and possibly a source of cheap fish and plants). Rob, in this forum, is a member or Dave (also here) can also get you in touch with the right people.

Hi Jiba . Welcome to the fishroom. Danios are a good schooling fish there are plenty of variteys availble and if you are later interested in breeding fish they are qutie esay . I have just spawned this week some long fin zebra danios and esimate i now have at least 50 probably more. So if you do want more let me know.A large school of fishes is always affective . Asfor bottom dwellers as Caryl said there are plenty of corydoras catfish around .

I am a member of the Waikato Aquarium Soc and have been for quiete a few years. Here in Hamilton we have a proactive club with a large knowledge base amougest our members . We meet monthly to discus fishy happenings , Have table shows , organise outings and often have speakers on diffrent aspects of fishkeeping . I have found it enjoyable sharing my interest with others in the hobby.

Contact us we are a really good bunch of fishkeepers

Great to have you here Jiba.

Expect that tank of yours to have some fry very shortly.

We can never have enough tanks :)

As above, a couple of Cory's would fit in nice with your situation.

Hope to see more on you around the forum.