Importing plants

Nooboon

Hi guys,

I am thinking of trying to import some plants in the future. I read in a previous post, for example, that madagascar lace is hard to come by.

I printed off the list of NZ banned plants on this site. Are there any others that I have to avoid and are there any other issues that would mean this isn't going to work? Do you need a permit to import or something?

I don't want any probs for the environment or for my pocket.

Wonder if it might not be worth talking to someone who does the ordering for a local garden center? I'd assume what would be needed for aquatic plants would be similar for land plants. Just a thought anyway.

Hi Nooboon

Other than the Aponogeton that you mention what other plants are you interested in ?

I ask this because more plant species are in NZ than most people realize and its a matter of having the contacts to source them.

Importing plants is quite a costly exercise,(quarantine set up and all the red tape) if you are only going to do it for a short term, and that really is the only alternative. The costs involved will be very hard to make back when competing for sales with NZ growers over the long term.

I will also be looking into running a couple of orders some time in the future, only to supplement my own supplies of new species. But for now I am still building my new greenhouse.

Contact me if you are going to import some plants I may be interested.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll post a short list of the plants I am most interested in soon. It is very likely that most of them are available here in NZ as you say. I was just thinking it might be easier to get all of the ones I want all at once from one place rather than having to search around here for them. However it sounds as though the cost will make that idea uneconomical.

Perhaps if you will be importing in the future we could join our orders and share the costs.