photos from germany and london....sorry Cees

puttputt

Gidday all, as promised, fish photos from my trip to Europe.

the first ones are of a shop i found in Dusseldorf. The owner had began as a hobbyist and moved into a small shop within his appartment building. he had a nice range of softies, very few sps but had nice urchins and starfish. Prices were expensive compared to us, with a fish worth say $80 NZ priced at 80 euro!!

shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

shop4.jpg

shop5.jpg

shop6.jpg

The next ones are from the Aquazoo in Dusseldorf. this is a relatively new public aquarium, including insects and retiles as well. Originated from a private collection donated to the city. It is an extremely impressive display and I recommend it to anyone going to Dusseldorf. the fresh water displays were huge, but i didn't take too many photos of these, concentrating on marine.

The highlight was a huge semi circular reef aquarium. It was easily 10 m end to end maybe more, 1 m high and 1 m wide. It had excellent flow and lighting and sps were doing great. The fish were plentiful, healthy and some lovely types.

I'll start with this tank first.....

to give an idea of the size, this is half

aq2.jpg

one side had acros

aq3.jpgaq4.jpg

aq5.jpgaq6.jpg

then into the leather area

aq7.jpg

this leather was huge, easily 800mm across

aq8.jpgaq9.jpg

a gorgonian area

aq10.jpg

then a huge red anenome with splits, My boss standing there for sizing. It was full of clowns and banggai cardinals

aq11.jpgaq12.jpg

xmas tree worms in porites

aq13.jpg

more huge leathers (i think) moving through to the staghorn area

aq14.jpgaq15.jpg

aq16.jpg

and this stunning little fish was swimming around in the stags. I want one....!!!!!!!, anyone know what it is?

aq18.jpgaq19.jpg

there were loads of other marine tanks as well, horse shoe crabs, little leopard sharks, jelly fish etc. here is a few..

tank full of sun polyps

aq20.jpg

lion fish

aq21.jpg

other coral tanks where corals were growing mad

aq22.jpgaq23.jpg

A huge euphilia tank

aq24.jpg

a tiny tank where the green monti had grow square!!

aq25.jpg

a tank full of banggai, with urchins full of babies

aq26.jpg

and the same size tank as the big reef for freshies, You can't get an idea of the size and the huge amount of fish within from these photos

aq27.jpgaq28.jpg

and lastly, I visited the london aquarium, on the southbank by the London Eye, It was disappointing. Some what neglected, and the photos make the reef tanks look better than they actually are. Lots of dead sps, cyno and accumulated detris, cloudy water etc,

la1.jpgla2.jpg

la3.jpgla4.jpg

la5.jpg

thats all, sorry to all dial up users :D .