HELP!! Clown loach with hole in the head!!

vapo

I read this on TM forum and thought I'd ask here for them:

"fish disease - hole in the head

I have tried treating it with melafix 6 or 7 times now and the holes are getting larger. Is there anyone out there who has successfully treated it. She is my clown loach and she is very old, as I have had her 22 years, and is about one foot long. She is still very happy and lively, but I have been trying to combat this since end of last year, and these last few weeks I have noticed a progression in the disease, even with the use of melafix. I wouuld appreciate any input at all. Thank you."

link:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=9692644&threadid=9692644

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Vapo

hi,

i treated successfully a discus with hole in the head. i had to go to a vet to get the stuff,it's called clavulox tab 250 mg. 3 tablets, makes into a paste.

i directly dabbed into the hole. it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

i just took him out every morning and treated,filled the hole with the paste,till it cleared. took carbon out of the filter while treating,water willgo quite pink, i would do small waterchanges daily,especially being a clown loach.

hope this is of some help,and hope you can still get the stuff,this was about 2years ago.

cheers shell.

HITH is often related to water quality and incorrect diet, are both of those ok in her tank with her clowns? perhaps a course of metro would help? it is often used for hex but also for HITH. not sure how long clowns live for but shes getting pretty old for your average fish. melafix helps the tissue heal but it wont solve the actual problem so she will need to find some meds for that, probably wont go away by itself now if shes been battling it for a long time. i hope she gets her clown better, impressive (but freaky) at that size

Sorry, wish I could help I don't have any kinds of loaches so I know nothing about them.

I hope she gets better...but WOW

I have had her 22 years

that's pretty amazing, its a sure sign that you give her lots of TLC :bow::bow: