Tank Capacity

lowndsie

not a fan of stocking lists myself but they do help sometimes. i think it varies too much for fish temperments, swimming needs etc. i find its easiest to get a list of what you want together and post on a website what size tank, filtration running and fish wanted and then they can normally help you pick out which fish often work best and the stocking levels for each fish- ie the miniumum for one discus is 40L, the minimum for one oscar is around 220L etc :D

not digging at FNZAS's stocking lists or anything mods, i know they often help newbies :wink:

Yeah thanx for the info. My problem is I'm planning on keeping australian native fish and there doesnt seem to be much data around for them. I'm guessing that being native they would require more room than most other aquarium fish. I guess its one of those things that you cant really find the answer for until you start stocking the tank.

As Sharn said, I think it would depend on how large the fish get, how active they are, how teritorial they are, what they eat, and how much they eat-n-poop, and in direct relation the the eat-n-poop thing, how many litres per hour you filter will do.

Are you looking at big natives, or smaller ones, a Northern Spotted Barramundi, aka Pearl Arrowana that grows up to 300mm will need a different setup than a community of, say, Blue-eyes.

Have you looked here?

http://db.angfa.org.au/

This links to Fishbase.org for additional information.

You don't state in your profile where in Auz you are, but there are affiliated ANGFA groups across Australia.

I picked up this info when we were in Melbourne last month from a fish shop.