Axelrod vs Baensch

Quark_VI

Hi,

My birthday is coming up and I need to choose between getting the following two books:

TITLE: Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of freshwater aquarium fishes

by Herbert R. Axelrod, Warren E. Burgess, Neal Pronek

ISBN: 08662-2515-3

and

TITLE: Baensch Aquarium Atlas Photo Index 1-5 (New Second Edition)

by Hans A. Baensch, Gero W. Fischer,

ISBN: 38824-4083-X

I am quite familiar with Axelrod but have been unable to look at a copy of Baensch or get sample pages online. Have read a few reviews recommending Baensch over Axelrod.

Would appreciate opinions or comments from any of you who may have or have seen a copy of Baensch.

cheers

I'd second Caryl's vote for Baensch - though I'm not sure if the photo index would be my first choice out of the series.

There are 5 volumes of Baensch atlas (+ the photo index for all 5) for freshwater fish (I think only volumes 1, 2, 3 and photo index are in english so far), they are an excellent resource (that's why Caryl, the FNZAS editor has them).

The photo index is a similar format to the Axelrod book (ie pictures and symbols), though I have a strong suspicion that the Baensch photo index has many more species covered.

If I was to choose only a single book on freshwater fishkeeping it would be the Baensch vol 1 - it has a good section on the aquarium basics (water chem, lighting etc) a reasonable section on plants and a good section on the common and many uncommon fish types. Each species presented with a nice picture and a quite detailed half page text entry (covering habitat, keeping, breeding etc). The reason I like the Baensch atlases so much is the amount of information you get - rather than just a set of symbols.

Hope this helps.

I'm probably going to get a once over for saying this but books are an outdated form of ingormation for fish keepers. Had this discussion at the LFS the other day when I noticed all the books were on a 50% off clearance. I mean ALL of them. The shop owner simply stated that no one needs or buys books anymore due to the internet.

I've used Dr Axelrods and find the information sparce and lacking many species of fish. For the record, many people still use the Axelrod atlas as a common reference. I'd probably go with Baensch if I were to make the decision again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/388244 ... oding=UTF8

Hmm I don't have the photo index, just Vol.1, 2 & 3. Wonder if I should look into it.

I do not believe books are necessarily an outdated way of getting information and have access to over 250 books here (plus many more magazines) when referencing for articles, as well as searching the Net.

Although a great source of information, the Net is also a great source of misinformation. I always double check anything I find on the Net (unless I am sure of the source). Having said that, I know books are not infallible either and Axelrod's Atlases also have their fair share of mistakes.

Despite the Net, I certainly do need, and buy, books and will continue to do so.

I rarely use my Axelrods any more but regularly check with my Baensch's as they are more informative.

I agree that there are some very informative websites out there (I particularly like planetcatfish.com) that can often have new information that older versions of books may not have.

As Caryl pointed out not all websites are created equal - some are highly respected, others are full of errors (same could be said of books but I feel this is less of a problem).

The reasons that I still like the Baensch books:

- I can take them with me when I go on fish 'safari' looking for new and interesting fish (I don't have a laptop with wireless internet connection and don't want to have to find the nearest internet cafe to get the info)

- if I come across a weird and wonderful fish I haven't seen before it's going to be easier (for me anyway) to flick thru my set of fish bibles and find it, rather than possible fruitless internet searching (internet searching can be very productive if you know the latin name - but how many shops put up, or even know, the latin name of the fish they sell). Of course the problem with this comment is it's entirely dependent on the books you've got and your proficiency with internet searching.

There are some books out there that are 'all gravy and no meat' ie lots of glossy pictures but bugger all good solid information - that probably deserve to sold at 1/2 price. However, I have found the Baensch books to be a good balance of quality pictures backed up with solid info - shame I don't see LFS's regularly stocking them though.

I would go the Baensch book

I have the Photo atlas and books 1 2 3 and waiting on book 4 to be delivered it is now in English

I go to these books at the shop alot more then i do go to the net

They arent cheap but i think thoroughly worth the money

Brad