Metal Halide

evilknieval69

I am considering getting one of these but not too sure, most probably not at this stage :D

anyways, this, that im talkin about, is one of these

i want to know what kelvin the bulb is though, and for my plants, idealy, would want it to be 6500 K

The seller says that it has "Philips MHN-TD 150W UV-Block Made in Belgium L1" labelled on it

does anybody here know what kelvin this would be

thanks

**EVIL**

:bounce:

oh ok

this page which blue showed me last night says that it is 3000 to 4200 Kelvin and he said that it will change depending on the filtering of the light(i think thats what he said anyway!!)

he said that the one i showed in the link would most probably be a 4200 K and told me to go for it!!

so do you think its 3000 or what???

thankyou very much :hail::hail:

**EVIL**

:bounce:

p.s. sorry if i got you wrong blue!!! just correct me if not :D

There are two bulbs in the range.

the hint on the product is in the code... 730

"7" indicates the CRI range, in this case <= 79

"30" is the colour temp, in this case 3000K.

This tube

Is different, Its hotter (4200K) but no CRI listed, but look @ the code... its '840' indicating it is in the next CRI bracket up. Ie: Ra <= 89

Also remember these temps and Ra's are under idea conditions. Biggest factor is the age... Temp cools off and spectum shifts. If these lights have been in a shop you have no idea how long they have been going for.

HTH

John

so does that mean we do not know because we dont have the product code???

thinking about it, i already have a 4 foot double tube light on the tank with 2 x 36 W , 6500 Kelvin tubes in it.

if i got another double light and put the same 2 tubes in that one then i would have a total of 144 Watts at 6500 kelvin.... this would probably end up cheaper in the long run as the tubes i have are only $7 from bunnings 8)

BUT If i go for the MH then i would have the 150W from that at whatever kelvin it is,but that would only cover half of the 4 foot tank. i would then need another two, ideally three 2 foot lights to cover the other half of the tank. because i already have the 4 foot light i could possibly swap someone for two 2 foots instead but they wouldnt have as much wattage... so i would have only another 50W max from them meaning i would then have 200 watt but still not at the higher Kelvin

so, its a toss up between getting the MH or spending the same amount of $$ on a double fluoro tuber and getting a little less wattage but higher Kelvins with no hassle...

Im confused :-?

so what do you guys,and girls think?? even though the MH isnt the higher Kelvin, would it still be better for the plants than having 144W of fluoros??

hope this all made sence

**EVIL**

:bounce: :bounce:

Thats one of the problems with MH... heaps of light but very concentrated.

There are too many different combinations to list if you are DIYing it, trust me i have looked!!! Off the top of my head...what about a single 150W MH + a 55W power compact at each end? 3x70W MH? 3x 80 W T5's? 4x58W T8's? I could go on... and there are pro's and cons to each way of doing it.

MH would be great if you had a 2ftx2ftx2ft tank, but that just my opinion. Even then you could still get 300W (if not more :o ) of power compacts or T5's above the tank if you were inclined. With the added benefit of being able to turn tubes on and off to give different photo-periods... if you were inclined. :-? But again... $$$

IMO there is really no guarnteed right or wrong way to do it. ( other than everything must be balanced) Although there are probably some wrong things to do...

But if you want a slighty more definative opinion... & dont quote me... the electronics side of it looks cheap, I'd bin the bulb tho and buy a new one. But you still run the risk of the electronics giving up

End of the day it depends on what you want to acomplish and the $$ you want to spend.

I'd like to say "HTH" but it probably hasnt... :(

John