Baby Discus

cuviceps

I've got 3 week old baby discus, Mom is a Blue Diamond, Dad is a Red Turquoise. Already babies are showing reddish dorsal and anal fins. THe tank is 4 foot display tank less all the previous inhabitants I had to catch(after 1 baby dissappeared into a Gold Tetra's tummy!!!). Ph is approx 7, Temp is 26 Celsius. 20-40 litres changed every 2 days.

I have only come across 1 dead baby so I am rapt. They get fed off the parents, baby brine shrimps and microworms 4-5 times daily. I tried 10 in a 2 foot tank to see how they would grow compared to being in with their parents. The difference was amazing, the 10 in the tank were so much smaller despite getting so much more brine shrimp than in the parent's tank. So much for what I have read about growing quicker on brine shrimp. Either way I don't mind they are all still growing and looking healthy. They are aprox. the size of a thumb nail.

I just moved them into a 2 foot tank as the parents were acting weird last night and looked as though they wanted to spawn. I wasn't prepared to see the babies disappear overnight!!!

• 1 month later...