Hello

Lurch

I have a 3ft tank (soon I will get a bigger one) with 5 discus, 7 cardinals, 3 bumble bee gobies (currently one is pregnant and any tips with breeding these would be helpful), 1 clown loach, 1 clown pleco and 2 horse faced loaches. It is a little crowded but I have not had a sickness or death since last year so all is well.

I have a 3ft tank (soon I will get a bigger one) with 5 discus, 7 cardinals, 3 bumble bee gobies (currently one is pregnant and any tips with breeding these would be helpful), 1 clown loach, 1 clown pleco and 2 horse faced loaches. It is a little crowded but I have not had a sickness or death since last year so all is well.

Welcome Lurch . You have an interesting mixture of fish .Some people say don't keep clown loachs with discus as they are noctunal and get a bit agressive at night . Bumble bee gobies genraully a brackish water fish but i have seen them living happially in plenty of aquariums as caryl said they are a preety fish . Would be an achivement to breed them .

I don't know much about them but the Waikato aquarium Soc have a meeting next Sunday at Link house which is the river rd end of Te Aroha st next to the Church . It starts at 7pm and i am sure if you brought up the topic of breeding buble bee gobies i am sure that amougest the group we will be able to offer some advice .If you want to know more about the club just contact myself or rob

Hi there Lurch :) I also have clown loaches (six of them actually) and until recently two discus with four bristlenose catfish in the one tank - oh yes and some neon tetras. One discus recently died and a contributing cause i suspect was bullying (until dave's post I never suspect the loaches) for during the daytime they all seem to co exist well. How are your discus and loaches getting on???

I also have bumble-bee gobies - they live with an 'earth-eater' cichlid and a siamese algae eater. Again peacefully I have salt in that tanks water whereas the discus tank is fresh water. Do you put salt into your tank water??

I think the bumble bee gobie could be pregnant because it is swelling up in the right places I think and it i thik it is a female because it is larger than the others. I don't think its an illness because it seems happy to eat and it has happened before, I watched it get bigger and bigger and then one day it was skinny again. I know they're brakish but I don't add any salt because I'm not sure how the discus will like it.

My clown loach is only small and I will proboly trade it for a smaller one when it gets bigger so it doesn't get nippy towards my other fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Lurch

Just a reminder that the Waikato Aquarium Soc has a meeting tommorrow night 06/7/03 at 7pm . The meeting is at link house , te aroha st . We have one of our members taliking on aquatic plants also a table show of coldwater fish .

This will give you a chance to meet a few others in the hobby

.hope to see you there !!!!!

Waikato Club meetings are first sunday of the month (except January) - new faces are most welcome. This months meeting is on planted tanks ie substrates, fertilisers, carbon dioxide, lighting etc. Next month we're trying to get one of the wholesalers to come talk to us about what's involved with that side of the hobby.