Molly Hunt 2003

dave

Thanks for the photos nico. Can you post them here for all to see? They will certainly go into the next magazine along with the fantastic article that I am sure is currently being written by someone who went on the hunt :lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad everyone enjoyed themsleves .

As mentioned i got right in amongust it but it was worth it .

Cat did the small golden molly survie that i caught for you . I hope so as i have never seen the gold sailfins there before . I will be interesting what it turns out like .

There were plenty of mollys and some really impressive males that showed some really good colour as the sun hit them ,

We had a look at the thermal stream at the motel yep there are mollies there too but mainly small fry .

Both tours were worth while and the upgrade of the vistors centre at the trout hatchery is well worth looking at .

I hope that everyone had a safe trip home and the mollies traveled well . I have put mine in one of my ponds with other livebearers they seem happy.

Nico i would love to see the photos kevin email some to me . By my own addmissions i must be nutty !!!! but it surely is fun.

I will write an article for the AW .

Aren't sure when i will do it agian but will think about it . Would be really interested in hearing about any other populations of wild tropical fish in Nz . I know where the guppies are , there use to be swordtails but you just never know .

Hi Dave

Yes the little gold molly is still alive. Very pretty colour. Hopefully it will survive and grow to be a nice individual. I will let you know how it goes.

It was a most enjoyable weekend and a BIG thankyou to Dave for all his hard work at organising it. Hopefully we will get to do it again before they sell the land and drain the swamp! :cry:

I'm not sure,

BUT,

I think the catfish you were after,

are

illegal to keep,

sell or give away,

breed,

put into any open river,

lake

or pond,

or aything else,

that could upset the biodiversity of NZ.

If you catch them,

you cannot release them back to their environment.

But ya can kill and eat 'em.

Alan

On the sunday afternnon before we all headed home a few of us went down to the Wharf at the entrance of the Tokkanu tailrace and try our hand at catching those pest to our natural waterways the Bullhead Catfish .

Unfortanley we didn't catch any and if we did they would have been destroyed imediatlely althought some say they are good eating .

Ummmmm theres a thought ??

If anyone else has photos from the Molly Hunt, please send them to Cees for inclusion in the gallery.

I just added a few more photos thanks to Kevin.

If you send me photos please send them as 480x360 jpg (high compression). Saves me 5 minutes converting them.

Cees

p.s.

Send me a Mbyte size photo and you will get on my blacklist :wink: (kevin, you're still ok :D )

Our mollies are doing fine. Havent lost any. As our ones were only little juveniles I am not expecting babies for a while yet. They are almost in 'our' water yet with one more change tonight it will just about be 100% changed. I do like the paler colour of them (almost pearly in some). Nice effect under lights. We are really pleased with them and would like to go and get some more! :D

Hi everyone

Mine are out in the pond think i ended up with 20ish . I have a mix of 50/50 males and females and i do expect them to breed .

They are doing okay haven't noticed any bodies and they must of really enjoyed the huge downpour we had here in the waikato on thrusday . We had locals kayaking down streets in hamilton east .

Anyway in about a month i might try and cross breed some wild mollies with imported stock just to see what i could end up with

BTW thanks for the photos they will always bring a smile to my face !!!