Green Hairy Algae

simfish

• 2 months later...

Or if you do not use chemicals like me, you can reduce the light in your tank, make sure no daylight gets in and only light iot for 8 hours a day also remove any algae that you see - cut the stems of plants it is growing on.

If it is green Hairy algae then Flourish Excell will not work.

Florish Excel is only good for getting rid of Black beard algae.

long greeen hair algae is best gotten rid of by picking it out and reduce the amount of phosphates in the water (ie reduce the amount of food you put in the tank)

u can to go the natural way use barley straw or barley straw extract.

This is a very old remedy.

One of the locals had a dam that was absolutely choked with algae and looked like it was full of green soup..

He had tried all manner of things.. even draining and re-filling at one time.

Suggested he throw a bale of barley straw in there.. which he did after a bit of laughter and persuasion.

The dam was cleared in no time.. and when the bale was removed for replacement (months later).. it was just one huge slimy blob.. but the alge was under control.

Bill.

hehe funny when that happens. Can't really go over algae enough though as its always there in some form and it always comes back! Although in saying that the excel worked wonders on the hair algae for me and actually hasn't come back. Now I just have a bit of blue-green instead ;)