My mean goldfish

xmamx

Hello all, i just got some adult guppies. Two females and two males and my Fantail goldfish Gonzo (about 6-7cm long) is harrasing them constantly trying to suck on the larger guppie which is about 3/4 the size of gonzo. I got some babie guppies the other day and he has made a snack out of a couple of them i think.

Will he give up once he is used to them or do i have to seperate them. Also if i get another fantail will they keep each other amused and leave the guppies alone?

I really want them to be able to all live together in piece. I think Gonzo is just not used to other fish as he has been solo for quite a while

Cheers,

Xmamx

if goldfish see it as a snack size theyll try eat it, even if they have to try squeeze it in :lol: bubba guppies are a nice snack for your goldies so i wouldnt count on any surviving unless its extremely planted (goldfish eat alot of plants so might not work too well lol) id say seperate them, less hassle and then you have an excuse for more tanks :D

Cheers, i dont have another tank and dont really have the room for one. The two female guppies would not fit in the goldfishes mouth as they are to big, doesnt stop him chasing them and trying to suck on them though. The tank has quite a few hiding spots under and around rocks and also 4 tall plants and some java moss which the little ones hide in.

I have found some of the babie guppies i got on monday are coming out a lot more and swimming around the tank and seem less scared of Gonzo (goldfish) now. Also the two female guppies are not hiding as much and thats only after 1 night. The two male adult guppies are still hiding in the rocks though with some of the the other baby guppies.

Is gonzo just bored and therefore just chasing the larger guppies because he is by himself or does he want to eat the fins off them. He obviously would like to eat the babies but they are a bit too quick for him. Would getting another fantail of the same size as gonzo stop him chasing the other fish as much ie: get him a friend to play with or would they both just chase the other fish around.

Gonzo may be showing dominance behaviour if he is chasing the guppies and nudging them. I have a fantail that does this. It doesn't bother other goldfish much and the little leopard fish we had in there for a while soon worked out he was faster and could swim off to somewhere safe.

I would keep an eye on it, but if there is no fin damage and the guppies aren't looking too stressed it will probably settle down. Getting another goldfish won't fix it if it is dominance behaviour and if I remember correctly your tank probably isn't big enough.

Keep us updated!

MCT