Congo Tetra spawning

Kookie

Well, what can I say.

Have had this group of fish since Sunday and one of the males

keeps herding one of the females into the indian fern and shivers(?)

til she joins him.

The tank is still cycling so i guess it was the earth worms we fed them last night that have them all randy and ready.

As a side note, it's darned hilarious watching these fish eat worms.

Talk about tug o war and chase.

Congrats!

If you look carefully you'll see a small "puff" of eggs at the end of the shiver, which is usually followed by a frenzy of fish eating the falling eggs. To breed them you'll need to set up a tank of their own, with a medium on the bottom to keep them from getting to the eggs, as well as little to no light as the eggs and young fry are photosensitive and will die if exposed to light. It's a bit of a miss and they are considered difficult to breed. Both Mark and I have bred them successfully, so if you need some more pointers and decide you want to give them a go, feel free to ask!

Blue

Awesome Faren, Thanks.

When I have transplanted all my fish into the big tank, I will have a go at breeding the congo's in the 100L tank.

What exactly do you mean by medium on the bottom?

When I'm ready to give these guys a serious go at breeding I will be hitting you up for info.

"Spawning turf" or a good layer of java moss covering the whole bottom. 100L (3ft) should be perfect, that's what I bred them in. It's a large breeding tank and fry will need the whole tank to grow out, so I never had a chance to have a second go. You saw 6 of the offspring with the school the first time you visited. They're now owned by a mate (fishy_t) down the road.