Fluval and Ehiems

Blueram

When I was upgrading my tanks two years ago, I also changed my internal filter to an external canister Fluval 204 (filter media included). It cost about $180.

The only thing that didn't like about the Fluval was the flow rate and the difficulty in priming the filter. The self-priming function did not work very well!! Granted the distance between the tank and the filter outlet is about 70cm.

I then went and bought an Eheim 2224 with Eheim media, that cost about $280. No problems priming and flow rate is excellent. I only clean the thing out once every 2-3months.

I still use the Fluval on another tank with good results, but did anybody else have the same priming problems with their Fluvals?

Blueram

Yes, very difficult to prime. I even went to the extent of keeping a spare powerhead to force prime the Fluval. I've found the new ones to be a pretty crappy pump design. The media area is good however.

My personal preference is definitely for the Eheim, its superior gear.

Dennis,

As Caryl said in one of her latest posts, the price of filters (especially Fluvals) vary from shop to shop.

$280 for the 2224 from Hollywood in AKL was a good deal, without even using a fish club discount (wasn't a member back then!!!). The same filter with media at Jansens costs about $360 the last time I checked.

When I was in Tuaranga for a holiday I did find the price of equipment quite steep!!!

Blueram