seahorses tank problems.........

vickih

correct, i didnt run one on my seahorse tank for the first year, didnt really affect the health of the fish so i can be done without a skimmer, but you are right it does make it easier in the long run. i wouldnt reccomend a uv fluro light as such, i too just use ordinary fluros (seahorses dont like alot of light). a uv light is normally placed inline after your filter. water runs over the light and steralises the water (please correct me if i am wrong). Can help with algae and some health problems.

I think a cheap skimmer would be a better choice than UV. Uv is actually more expensive too - with the cheapest units around $100+.

Algae is a sign that there are excess organics in the system. UV is more of a treatment than a prevention. Also it will only get algae in the water column, leaving the stuff in the tank alone (I think).

With protein skimming you are physicially removing the crud, ie removing the algeas food. UV just kills everything that floats through it, leaving the organics (although they may break down a little).

For instance, if you have an outdoor pond, and run UV - you water will be crystal clear with no algae, but it can still be highly toxic to fish if you dont have a filter.

If you look at the post by Feelers, on page 2, with the photo of a skimmer, you'll see in the collection cup some brown gunge. That brown gunge is loaded with nutrients that make algae grow. Removing it by skimming is one of the best things that can be done to control algae.

My seahorses seems a little happier....have got the temp down as it was sitting at about 23....now at 19 and they are more active. I rang the shop yesterday and they stand by what they told me :o They said they have doing this way for years (as in adding Seahorses after a few days) They are getting 200 horses from the seahorse farm that is closing in the next few days, so at a guess I'd say they are going to start breeding. They have also said they will replace my dudes if they died in the next couple of weeks. The ammonia levels have dropped a little, soooo I still hoping things will be OK. Thanks everyone for all your help.

sparkyn, I contacted the seahorse farm in Napier yesterday via email as I wanted to purchase a book from them and find out a little more information about setting up the tank, and the email I got back said that they were no longer trading as the owner had pulled his funds from the business. Very, very disappointed, I was looking forward to the little project of setting up in our new house.