what type of filter

banaro

hi all i am new to this i am looking at getting some malawi cichlids i am getting a 180 lt tank and was wondering what typefilter to use internal external ? the budget aint too big so a cheaper but reliable adaquite one for a start is what imm looking for any suggestions cheers

If your on a tight budget you can't go past aquaone CF canisters. For $120 its great value, silent and brand new.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 026860.htm

There are other traders on trademe peddling them as well.

IMHO you should also have another filter like a HOB or internal power filter. If you intend to use an airpump to bubble off CO2 then you could use a sponge filter instead but a HOB and a canister is what I like to use. The canister will get you going until you can afford a backup option but if you are going to delay it for long you might be better off with the CF1000 or 1200 as malawis are dirty apparently.

I too would go for external canister if you can afford it. I have Fluvals, Eheim wet/dry (DON'T BUY ONE!!! :evil: ) and Jebo. I like the Jebo best.

The externals are bigger and so hold more media. They also don't take up space in the tank that could be used for decorations or fish :wink:

My Malawis are messy and I have 2 externals, one at each end of the tank. I also had an AquaClear HOB at one time (just running as spare).

i think that everyone is going to tell you the same thing, external is better.

a fluval 4 internal would run 180lts with no problems, cost around $90.00

a jebeo as wok said, for the price are a great filter, cost $140.00

http://www.deepblueaquarium.co.nz/filter.htm

for the $50.00 you get 4 x more filter.

i have them both and they are great filters but IMHO i would go for the canister, its a lot less work as you only need to clean it out every 6 months and later on add a small internal and the canister can be left 12 months. the internal also adds to the current.

but as it goes with most of us, the budget will decide

thanks all for the advise i was given last night by my boarder his spare filter he inherited from a freind from a turtle set up its a aqua one tornado 606 2000lph i have ordered a new sponge from pet store and i will use this until i can get an external adventualy anyone think this filter is a dud no good for my tank please tell me as i would hate to use something that was no good but i think 10 cycles plus should be good lol i will do regualer water changes ect and clean filter ect i am always ringing

penuts and picking their brains so im in good hands with them.also with a hellpful bunch on here touch wood i will get it right cheers all

Geremy

The only problem you might have is the massive amount of water flow with a 2000lph pump. Seriously, your fish will be spining in the current until it fills with gunk and slows down. Too bad peanuts doen't have a larger tank but you mught ask a local with a big tank if you can run it in one of their tanks for a few days to build up the bacteria (cycle).

its a lot less work as you only need to clean it out every 6 months

Is that true for all external cannister filters? I'm thinking, not anytime soon though, of replacing the filter in my 110L. I've only seen one here so far, darn don't remember what kind, will check out and post to get opinions on. Now that I know too much water movement isn't a good thing, I'll have to get the info on it so I can get the advise of you wise people :bounce: :bounce: