MH Hours

Fay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve you take terrible photos

He need one of these as reviewed

The $99 Wal-Mart Special - These cameras have those snazzy LCD displays, offer live previews and are so easy to use even a 1 year old child can take cool photos. When my daughter sees something she likes, she simply flicks on the camera, waits for it to startup, frames her shot and fires away. Most of her photographs come out with decent quality

The potential problem with shorter photoperiods is that our lights are still generally not all that intense compared to the real thing. This is why I periodically toy with the idea of replacing my 4 x 400 setup with a 2 x 1000 setup that moves slowly along the tank over an 8 hour period.

The current evolution of the plan, largely due to the variety of 400w bulbs available compared to 1000w ones, is to have two sets of 2 x 400 moving down the tank.

Steve

The potential problem with shorter photoperiods is that our lights are still generally not all that intense compared to the real thing.

Steve

I don't think that is entirely correct. Lighting tests have shown that many 250Watt 10k halides put out close to the PAR found on the reef at midday cloudless sky at 5 to 10 meters below the surface.

Layton

Re; Ultimate Marine Aquariums by Micheal Paletta

He states some averages from the 50 tanks in the book so here goes;

Of the 42 tanks housing SPS corals 20% only used MH lamps.

12% employed fluros exclusively.

6.45 watts per gallon.

9.8hrs photoperiod.

He has six pages analysing the data collected in the book at the start.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guy's interesting topic.

I currently run my MH's for 7 hours with supplemental flourescents running for 12 hours. It seems to be a trend amongst the European Reefers at the moment to run for even shorter periods, some of them for 4 hours.

I read recently, and I wish I could find the link now - think it was on RC that we overlight our corals. A survey revealed that they need time to "rest" from photosynthesising and that 6 hours was more than what was needed. Nightlights are also considered to be adding stress to the corals as minimal as it seems.

It seems to be a trend amongst the European Reefers

Quite true , they also have the best tanks so it makes sense to take note of the trends in europe and out west auckland :D

This was also discussed by cookie sometime ago as a book he had mentioned the same thing that we are overlighting our corals.

TropicalSun.jpg

reef

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have one that is solid orange. not too hard to keep colours on them.

They call them SUPERMAN DANAE

GOT A PHOTO OF IT

After reading the thread on Zeovit.com about lighting hours & colouration, a few weeks ago I cut my photoperiod from 10 hours to 8. Don't know if it's coincidence, but over the last week or so there has been an improvement, and intensification, of colours. Encouraged, I have further cut the photoperiod by another hour, to 7 hours.

Over the weekend I knocked 1 hour of each set of MH. Now at 7 hours per pair, with a 5 hour overlap. I.e. total of 9 hours made up of: 2 hours with 2 bulbs, 5 hours with 4 bulbs and 2 hours with 2 bulbs. Fluorescent lights are still on for 11 hours.

Steve