krib male????

GeeTee

Bought this one yesterday as a male, because my other bloke died.It was the only one in the tank that looked like a male,body shape, fins (I thought),no pink belly and it was chasing everything from its spot in the tank.

The other concern is the top fin of it,colour and shape.Anal fin seems pointed enough.

The original female is chasing it around the tank now so I'm not sure.

Did I get it wrong?

089799.jpg

It does look like a female but... My males have a pointy tail as well as the long pointy dorsal. However it looks by the tail to have been fin nipped and it is quite possible that it has lost some of the pointedness in the tail and the dorsal from fin nipping.

Also if you bought it yesterday you will have to wait a few days for Him (hopefully) :P to settle in. Kribs colours fade alot when stressed. Take another photo in a few days and lets see that. Have you got heaps of hidey spaces in the tank so the other krib (s) don't stress it too much?

Do you know how old it is? And what length is it?

My original female I would think is full grown around the 70-80 mm,and this one is just smaller.

There are caves and plants for it to hide,will see how it goes.

It was the domanant fish in the tank at the lfs and it had less colour than most other fish in the tank.The females in the tank were GLOWING pink in the belly and were easy to pick.(Body shape)

I guess i picked it on body shape, lack of abdomanal colour,character in the tank and thought the anal fin was pointy enough.

Your gonna need patience. As with most cichlids adults are territorial and aggressive to its own species. There is going to be a bit of a battle go on no matter which Kribensis you add while the pair get to know each other. Sometimes this can look rough but thats how it is. So long as the fish has somewhere or other to retreat to while the hunter plays hide and seek then they may eventually bond. Its only when you see the fish in obvious distress ie in the corners and still being hit you need to seperate. A bit like boxing when the ref calls TKO :P

The best way to get a breeding pair of cichlids is to buy a breeding pair or buy Juveniles and hope you get your own pair.