New Hobbist please help

DartzMan

Gday everyone....

after many years I have decided to try AGAIN at keeping tropical fish...My first encounter was a long time ago and very unsuccessfull due to lack of knowledge....Anyway this time round I have the time and the patience to try again.

I have a million questions but I will start off with only one

My current set up is a 3 foot across 15" wide and 18" deep

I am very wary and some say over concerned re filtering...

I have 2 X Fluval 3 filters plus a Canister filter in the tank

I have been told that "There is no such thing as over filtering"

Due to the amount of filtration I am using I have turned down the output of the filters for obvious reasons (otherwise it wil look like the inside of a washing machine on spin)

You can see my set up at the link below

http://www.dartz.biz/images/Fishtank.jpg

My question is by turning down the output of the filters to reduce turbulance, will that also reduce the efficiency of the filtration?

You could put spray bar onto you systems.

They will spread the turbulance without decreasing you filtration volume.

Keep them underwater to cut down on sound.

By the way, let me be the first to welcome you to the forum.

I'd offer you a cuppa,

but I here you Aussies have a problem with that at the moment.

Go to the welcome section and introduce yourself to the troops.

Alan 104

Welcome to the fishroom. Nice tank.

You are right, there is no such thing as overfiltering but there is such a thing as too much current for some species. As Alan suggests, a spraybar would help. Turning it down will not make it any less efficient.

My 4ft African currently has two Fluval 404's, an Eheim wet/dry and a Jebo 801. Plus it usually also has an internal cansiter or 2 as spares in case of emergencies. Only have that many as I wanted to keep the filters going after dismantling other tanks. The big ones all have spray bars.

Yes it will reduce the efficiency of the filtation, with reduced flow you will have reduced oxygen getting to the bacteria, plus you will have less dirty water being processed. However because you have plenty of filtering this wouldnt be a problem just makes having them all a bit pointless, if it was me I would just remove the 2 internal filters, you don't need them and the tank is for looking at plants/fish not ugly plastic boxes. If you do want to keep them all, why not direct the output's at the glass or decorations to slow down the flow.