Tank Upgrade...

lduncan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just cancelled my order for my new Macbook Pro laptop, to help with current funds.

Budget wise, can't really afford to do absolutely everything i'd like to do all at once. But the thing is I can setup the front have of the tank with rock lights and streams which I already have, then add to the back as finances allow.

I estimate about two months for the finalisation and construction of the tank and stand. Hopefully have transferred the stock from my tank into the new one by mid April. And final completion by the year end.

Layton

so you set aside a $30k budget for this then?!!!

I'm guessing around 20k all up. But it doesn't seem as bad when you don't spend it all at once, and never keep track of it :lol:

The main determinate of size was monthly power usage estimates. My absolute max limit was $300 / month. I think it will be less than this however, as i'll be going with mostly 250 halides instead of 400's.

Layton

Electricity is a killer, (well to me at least) I do like the idea of the use of skylights as someone else suggested a while back. I would have thought in an inwall setup, perhaps it could be hidden well?

Have you considered the skylight thing?

As far as substrate is concerned, i'm undecided. I always thought that I would have a shallow sand bed, and have the flow setup under the rock to blow out and crap, and keep the sand well vaccumed.

Now though i'm leaning towards the barebottom look, with white HDPE on the bottom.

So I guess what i'll do is start off BB with the HDPE and then I can always add or remove the sand later.

Layton

Just been checking out the Royal Exclusive website (makers of the BubbleKing skimmer)

They have probably the top aquarium construction company in the world.

What interested me was their construction methods. While my tank isn't really a large tank, it was interesting to see how they create the monsters they do.

It seems that for a lot of their tanks they use pvc panels glued to a base (whether it be concrete or plywood). This is the construction of a 28,000 litre private aquarium in Kuwait that they did:

Elche-beschichten1_gross.jpg

a smaller 6m^3 tank:

kueche6_gross.jpg

The more I look at this website, the more I think I might go the composite route. I like the idea of pvc panels over the more common epoxy paint over ply type construction.

I'd really like to see how they mount the glass panels in however.

Layton

Layton - Warren Stillwell on this site built a monster tank. Can't remember the exact size but it was about 3mx1mx1m. Plywood in steel frame. If memory serves me correctly it cost him under 2k (excluding the crane etc to get it to his home). Unfortunatly he lost his nerve and never installed it at home but the tank looked top-notch and would be a lot cheaper than all glass. Although because its saltwater the paint used to seal the wood probably wouldn't be as effective and you may need to use PVC/acrilic to line it. Still PVC is cheap, might add a few hundred depending on how big the tank. You could just seal it up with silicone and it would be spot on. If i ever go larger (not on the horizon) it won't be all glass, most likley purpose built concrete PVC lined monster.

Is it going on concrete floors?

What about a 50/50 substrate? I've seen a few where people have designed the rockwork ahead of time, made a channel for the visible substrate to exist (never seen DSB, just cosmetic 2-3 inchs) and the rest bare bottomed. I am not sure how well it would work but could be a good compromise to have a sandbed without the benifits/negitives of the DSB or a sand bed covering the whole tank.

You would have to go 400s in a big tank like that? I would have thought so.

Is it in-wall or free standing?

Piezola

Hi Layton will be looking forward to seeing this tank when its up. As far as the skytubes go these are great on those nice sunny days and add a lot of light between 11 - 3 i have however noticed that some of my corals have lost some colour and there was some bleaching at first but that has since recovered. I will try and get some pics when im home during the light hours. At best i think they will only be good as supplumental light. the rest of my halides will be up in the next two weeks and this should help. on a plus note i have noticed the my SPS's have taken off. The biggest problem i have had is getting the tubes through the rafters as the tank sits under the appex of the house. As far as the pvc tanks go in my last job working with comercial pools we had a bit to do with a company called mytha who make bolt together pools from stainless steel pannles covered in a pvc film i often thought that this would be a good idea for a large tank.

PS Layton i can build the stand for you and will be able to get the steel at a price you wont be able to beat we buy steel in bulk at work

Dave

Layton - Warren Stillwell on this site built a monster tank. Can't remember the exact size but it was about 3mx1mx1m. Plywood in steel frame. If memory serves me correctly it cost him under 2k (excluding the crane etc to get it to his home). Unfortunatly he lost his nerve and never installed it at home but the tank looked top-notch and would be a lot cheaper than all glass.

Cool, Warren if you see this, your input here would be much appreciated. The pvc lined plywood with steel frame is looking quite attractive at the moment.

Although because its saltwater the paint used to seal the wood probably wouldn't be as effective and you may need to use PVC/acrilic to line it. Still PVC is cheap, might add a few hundred depending on how big the tank. You could just seal it up with silicone and it would be spot on. If i ever go larger (not on the horizon) it won't be all glass, most likley purpose built concrete PVC lined monster.

Is it going on concrete floors?

Weldon 10 apparently is the adhesive to bond rigid pvc to both itself, and to the ply backing. Looks like i'll be checking prices for pvc and ply tomorrow.

It will be going on a concrete floor of the garage.

What about a 50/50 substrate? I've seen a few where people have designed the rockwork ahead of time, made a channel for the visible substrate to exist (never seen DSB, just cosmetic 2-3 inchs) and the rest bare bottomed. I am not sure how well it would work but could be a good compromise to have a sandbed without the benifits/negitives of the DSB or a sand bed covering the whole tank.

yeah if I added sand that's how it would be. Ideally there would be enough flow under the rockwork to stop sand getting under it at all.

You would have to go 400s in a big tank like that? I would have thought so.

Depends how clean you run your tank. The PAR from 250 watt 10k bulbs is pretty close to that a couple of meters below the surface in tropical reefs, so there is more than enough light put out by them. I really think 400's are overkill.

Is it in-wall or free standing?

Definitely in-wall.

Layton

PS Layton i can build the stand for you and will be able to get the steel at a price you wont be able to beat we buy steel in bulk at work

Dave

Excellent, i'll be in touch soon and sort out what i'm after and what it's likely to cost etc.

Layton

The main determinate of size was monthly power usage estimates. My absolute max limit was $300 / month. I think it will be less than this however, as i'll be going with mostly 250 halides instead of 400's.

Pretty much what i will be doing for my new tank. i will keep my 4x 400w and the rest will be 250w. not much benefit from going 400w except the bigger power bill.

I have actually reduce my metal halide lighting by two hours a day and already have far better growth and colour.

With a tank that size i would go 20mm glass. you will sleep better at night.

I got some prices this morning for rigid PVC. All are per sheet (2440 x 1220)

Industrial Grey (Mulford / Universal Plastics)

4.5mm $106.97 / $128.52

6mm $158.68 / $189.00

8mm na / $257

10mm na / $317

White (Mulford)

4.5mm $95.75

6mm $134.26