My poor Axolotols need HELP!

HeadHunter

Here is a picture of it...

img_0153_108.jpg

what can I do to safe the poor thing! :(

Well, I'm giving it a refridgeration treatment (~7'C) at the moment since the water temperate of the tank is about 28'C due to warm weather.

Been in the fridge for about 24hours now.. still upside down. but it still have good sign of life.

Is there anything I can do to help her??

thank you in advance..

first of all i will say you have done the right thing by the fridge. you need to do daily water changes while shes in there (looks like a she from pic). keep a spare bottle of water next to her container for water changes, temp fluctations will make her even worse. wrap the container in a towel to stop the light freaking her out. also lower the water level so that she can tough the bottom when shes the right way up.

you need to get those stones out of there! my first thought is that shes eaten some (thats why we reccomend to keep them on sand, need some let me know) and shes blocked herself up. theres no way to un-block her except patience and alot of hope. either that or the temp has stressed her alot.

come to www.axolotl.org and sign up and post this on the forum under sick axie. we have some people on there that are like books and may have other ideas of what to do. lets hope she pulls through!

:cry: yes is a she... and she didn't make it.... found out this morning...

I rang a friend that's a vet and she told me to gave it a salt water bath treatment and i did it yesterday for 2 minutes... and didn't keep her in the fridge after that ... as that's what the vet advise me to do...

The vet is more into real animals than 'fish'.

oh well, she warned me as there is not much hope when they bloated... :(

sorry about your loss :cry:

mmhmm those salt baths were a good reccomendation, but generally only help with skin problems. i use 1tbsp to 1 litre personally. you keep them in the bath for no more than 15 mins as the salt hurts their gills and can cause them to bleed :( just added that for future reference for people reading over, i can post the link to the exact thread on the salt baths if anyone wishes

I have read about floating Axies. This is mostly due to bacterial infection.Considering the temperature you quoted, and the fluctuations that would have happened at night, I find it hard to believe it would have been a pebble - but who can say for sure?

28 degrees was WAY too high (24 is absolute max, 18 is better) and needed to be addressed somehow. A fan blowing over the tank may have helped a little, but who can say. High temps stress them out AND promote bacterial growth - a deadly combination.

Frequent water changes could have helped as well as salt baths, but it would have been easier just to reduce the temperature.

It is even possible to massage them in emergency, but make sure you use well washed latex gloves!

Too late now of course, and I am sorry for your loss. :(

=========================

Often, some stress will lead to a small bacterial infection in the gut. This would lead to a gas build up, and the floating. It is possible that the axolotl swallowed a large amount of air into its digestive system too. Warm temperatures (over 20 °C / 68 °F) don't help. Anything over 25 °C / 77 °F is far too warm for axolotls - just in case you didn't know.

As to how to solve the problem, axolotls find it stressful when they can't touch the bottom. I suggest you lower the water level so that the axolotl is touching the bottom, but still submerged. The fact that it can touch the bottom should help to relieve the stress and hence help it to recover. If you keep it at temperatures over 20 °C / 68 °F it will probably make it harder for the axolotl's gut to keep up with any bacterial activity, so try and keep it cooler. As long as it eats, that's a good sign. Sometimes it is possible to massage the animal's abdomen to help it pass the gas, but it's hard to do without hurting and/or stressing the animal. It's safer to do what I've suggested and let the animal pass the gas on its own.

when they eat pebbles it can block em up and sometimes make em float. however its not normally upside down and i was just adding that bit about pebbles for further refererence. people, dont keep your axies on gravel!!!!

I know, but it was a little ambiguous (I thought) and needed to be addressed verbosely - especially since it is summer. :)

I am 99.95% this was temperature related, as I am sure you are.

PS: Off to double check the temp on my tank. I have two golden albinos and at $70 a pop I don't really want them belly up...literally.

mm im keepin an eye on my newly aquired albino :D yeeehaaa first i seen in nz so im super stoked about 'him', i know auckland zoo has one and im sure there would be another couple floating around nz. mwahahaha got my golden for 50, i was so stoked when she upped the price, boy do i love getting good deals lol. you get yours off angie too?

have you registerd on the axie forum?

bet it was temp, i feel sorry for the aussie owners, there are so many people whose axies die from the heat because they dont know how to cool the tank, and for most people a chiller is just too expensive, im sure half of aussies axies spend the summer in the fridge lol

• 1 year later...