NSW from Tapakuna boat ramp contains Ammonia!

speed

Let's put it this way. None of the artificial salts are perfect, and some of the time Takapuna NSW will be less than perfect.

I've tried both, no difference. But for me NSW is easier, and cheaper. Spending money on salt plus the extra hassle involved made no positive difference to my tank, I did give it fair trial for six months or so.

Just don't want to see people being duped into thinking ASW is better because provided NSW is collected properly it's fine, or at least as good as.

Hmmm, Yeah, my tank has been a bit unhappy looking lately, I wonder if the strontium is getting low since I'm using Crystal sea? I've got some NSW I'll do the next water change with though...

The water at Takapuna has tested well for strontium, presumably it will be the same where you are. However as strontium is absorbed and used by some of the things we keep, such as coraline algae, if you're low in it may pay to dose it.

Others will disagree as it has been shown to be not essential, however it does appear to have a positive effect on coraline.

Just had a look at that thing in my previous post about crystal sea, it is somewhat worrisome, maybe worth trying a good dose of either another brand, or NSW, and see what happens. If you're new to NSW, be aware it has a salinty in NZ around 1.028, and needs diluting. Talk to Suphew or Pies for some good info on collecting in Wellington.

I've just found a lot of my palythoa polyps are closing up and one of my finger leathers. Coraline seems happy enough. It's actually only in the last couple weeks since I did a water change. Actually, I'm thinking I might take the carbon and phosphate resin out too. Because that was added around the same time...