Should I move my Angel fry?

LYNDYLOO

Well, my Angel fry seem to be doing really well, I would expect them to be free swimming tomorrow, thing is they are still in 4ft Comm Tank on the power filter, M&D have moved them around a couple of times, so they are all sitting on the top of the filter now, really cant see them surviving in the Comm Tank, so I need to move them, not quite sure which is the best way to go about doing this, if I lift the power filter out of the water am I not going to loose all the wrigglers from the force of the water pulling them off the filter, any ideas how I should be doing this without losing to many of my fry, any ideas would be great.

Lynda

maybe get a bowl and stick it in your aquarium so it fills with water then tip the filter over so the top is in the water and then pull the bowl and the filter out and move to the new aquarium and sink them both into that and then take the filter out of the bowl(underwater)..... :-? :-? :-? :-? might wrk????

Thought i would try and help ya :lol: :lol:

LL don't do that.

Just get a length of airline and syphon them out into another container.

I do this removal systen often.

It would be interesting to see if the parents could be moved to their new tank, although I wouldn't do that.

I'd set the parents up on a BB tank and spawn them on ther own, with maybe some danios in there as dither fish.

Alan 104

Alan,

I never thought of doing it that way, was wondering if I should M&D with the fry as they are doing such a good job of being parents, but maybe a different story if they're moved into another tank I guess, do you think they would start eating them straight away or would it be a period of time, I could move them all together and keep an eye on them and see how they go. Was reading a recent post saying Angel Fry dying at 10 days, any ideas how I can try and avoid this.

Any help you can give is very much appreciated.

Lynda

To stop them dying in 10 days time, there are two things to make sure of.

On is plenty of water changes and the other is plenty of live food.

Live baby brine shrimp.

That in my opinion, is the reason all those fry died at that age.

Lack of both or either, cleanliness and/or tucker.

Alan 104

Thanks Guys, yep got some BBS on the way bought some off TradeMe, and just arranging some Microworms for them.

Alan: Do you think I should move M&D along with the fry? as Ron suggests?

I suppose I can always take M&D out if they start eating the bubbas. What advantage is there to having M&D in with them?

Lynda

It is a risk you'll have to decide for yourself.

Nothing like seeing a family group of angels, I believe that the fry do pick at the parents slime,

but are not as reliant on it as discus fry.

In about 10 days to 14, you'll have to remove M&D anyway,

they'll be up to no good again about then, and the babies will go first.

Alan 104

OK, good point, if M&D gonna have to come out shortly well then theres really no point, I didn't realise they spawn so often, so about every couple of weeks then, might do the spouting trick I think this time, see how that goes, hopefully they will choose to spawn on that.

Thanks for all the help, waiting for one of my boys to show me how to post a pic, so I can share with everyone. Might go and do that now, keep an eye out I'll see how it goes.

Lynda

Hi Lyndyloo,

don't forget what Alan said about water changes and often

the bigger they get the more attention to water changes,

nitrite or nitrate can't remember which is toxic to them at low levels this is one of the reasons for mistery deaths of angel fry,

fine one day all dead the next :o:cry:

Will do my best for these little wrigglers, hoping all will go well, will keep ya all posted as to how it's all going.

Got a slight porblem tho, got to go into hospital nexr Friday 27th for an OP, be in there for 5 days, not sure Hubby or my 4 Boyz will be quite so dedicated, hmmm bit of a worry really.

Only wish someone could take them for me till I get back but thats not going to happen so I'll just have to do my best.

Lynda

REmoving the fry:

With the main lights off and in as much darkness as poss... place a small light at one end of the tank.

The fry will soon congregate there and are easy to net and remove.

Ensure the water you move them into is at the same params as the tank you took them from.

Bill.

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my Angels Fry,

Black Marble = Dad

Golden = Mum

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ ... ure014.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ ... ure013.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ ... ure012.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ ... ure011.jpg

Fry have now been moved into 2ft tank, so here's hoping all goes well.

Keep ya fins crossed guys, I would like to at least get a couple of these to survive, that's not asking much now is it. :lol: :lol:

Lynda