Fluval 204 setup

PETEYPLECO

I have a fluval 204 external filter that has been running for 3 to 4 months (yes I have changed the carbon in this time) and I have decided to remove the carbon which leaves me with just the biomax in the lower basket. I now want to increase the media area in the now empty two other baskets and I am wondering what are some of your usual setups for this type of filter. Please give me some idea of what media to add and in which position in the filter lower, middle or top baskets?

I have done likewise in my 404, new noodles start in the top basket, and each sponge wash I move them down one and replace the top ones with ones that I have cleaned really well.

If you let the sponges get too blocked up then the crap will clog up the baskets starting at the bottom which is my reasoning for having the cleanest at the top so at least thats still working.

The stuff I take out of the bottom I wash under the tap, let dry out totally then repeat the process a couple of times, ends up pretty clean and then ready for when I do the next sponge clean. I accumulate it and wash it a twice a year or so. Noodles are good because if you do neglect it and they clocg up there is still gaps, where as the small ball like stuff tends to block right up and not let much water thru.

the gunk contains the good bacteria

Minimizes the surface area tho, which is what counts at the end of it. when the pores of the noodles are full of goldfish poo it doesnt work as well.

I was really aprihensive about the amonia level the first time I did it, but the "spike" was a barely differnt from the first square of the test sheet about a day after I did it so nothing to worry about. just makes me feel better to know that its all clean in there.