my pregnant guppy

FisH_CrazY07

hi there, i was wonderinf if any one knows how to tell when my guppy will drop her fry, so then i can put her into the breeding thing i have (i didnt wanna call it a trap cause it doesnt sound to nice:) ) so that she doesnt eat her fry, and what the minimum amount of fry she could have, jsut an estimate will be fine thankx :D

Guppies drop fry every 4 - 6 weeks. When ready to drop she should be very fat, you may be able to see the eyes of the fry through her belly, and the vent will be dark.

Breeding traps are not a good idea. The fish generally don't like them and are as likely to abort when you shift them into it. A heavily planted tank is a much better idea. Lots of floating and planted plants for the fry to hide in. Java moss is especially good. Besides, if all the fry survive each time you will very quickly be overrun with guppies!

I found that Riccia is the best floating nursery for baby fry. Gives the mother a nice place to hide and give birth, as well. Want some? In a well-lit tank with good water a small envelope full will triple in size within a month. Then you get to use it to carpet your tank and all kinds of cool stuff :)