save my ambulia

Pauly

hello all to you all again.

I need your help ,my ambulia wont grow, it gets covered in alge, the small leaves either fall off ,or are eaten from the bottom up ,it is as if it is dissintergrating :cry: .The ph is about 6.8 the temp is 27 degrees ,it is in a plant substate and near the middle of the tank . My other plants seem to be fine apart frm the alge on them. Do I need to fertilize or do I need more light ?.It is a 120 L tank 55cm deep and I have 2 20 watt biolux lights . Any advice would be appreciated . I have read almost all your posts in this section and I am ditermined to have a healthy and well planted aquarium. :D

Pauly said...

> It is a 120 L tank 55cm deep and I have 2 20 watt

> biolux lights . Any advice would be appreciated .

I'd start by adding more light. Try 2 (or even better 4)

x 30W tubes. Light levels drop off rapidly with depth.

Make sure you use new tubes.

Andrew.

thanks for that I have put another light in the tank and also added some fertilizer ,florish excel . I also trimed the bad parts off the plant. I hope all this helps, as it is such a nice plant to have in the tank.thanks for your replie.

I have different species on Ambula growing very well in my tank. I have 4ft, 5x 40watt Tubes on a 13hr day cycle. Also with Co2 and 8ml of LEAF ZONE added daily (2ml every 4 hrs).

I find that my Ambula does poorly when my Nitrates are high. I also find it does better in shaded areas of my tank.

Also try and add some root fertiziler tabs to the gravel may help.

good luck.

thanks guys.

I added 2 blackline fox's, and a britslenose to help with alge, and the flourish exell has worked too. The plants all seem a bit more vibrant and the ambuila is starting to sprout again , and the alge is dieing off even the black stuff ,its going yellowish and then dieing off. The tank now has 60 watts of light and already things are looking up. :lol:

I'll let u know if I have any more probs with the ambulia ,just got to what for it to back again ,cheers for you help guys.

pauly.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on my ambulia,

Damn I've never had to prune my aquarium plants before .All of your advice has worked wonders , my plants are all flowering and sending out runners ,they are literally taking over !!

If I had a digicam I would take a pic to show off ,but alas .

Thanks again guys .

Pauly.