Breeding zebra danios...any help apreciated!!

evilknieval69

Hi guys. i have a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft tank in which i want to breed my zebra danios. i have 1 big female and two males...(i think) :lol: anyway, i have been reading up about how to breed them on the web but i just want some personal feedback. what i thought i would do is set up the tank with no substrate at all with a sponge filter in it.i will have the water at about half way to encourage any new fry to feed from the botom aswell as the top(if i get any at all!!)this is what i have gathered to be the best way to do it from what i have read. if any body has bread these fish or similiar could i please have your opinion/way to breed them.

any help would be greatly apreciated!!! :lol:

thankyou in advance :hail::bow::hail::bow:

**evilknieval69**

Hi there evilknieval69

That sounds like you have a nice setup there for them. However, you will need to have some java moss or netting which the eggs can fall through to prevent the parents from eating them. Hopefully i have helped you... and wish you all the luck for them.

Anthony.

evilknieval69,

the main thing to do when breeding danios, especially the more common ones is to be very particular whith your breeding stock.

So many are bred these days that have bent spines and are only suitable for live fish food for the bigger fish.

So make sure the parents-to-be are free of genetic defects.

Condition the adults and place together on a Friday night, into a small tank with the bottom covered with marbles or similar sized pebbles.

These are for the non-adhesive eggs to go between from predation.

Remove parents from the breeding tank, cover, and when the babies are free swimming, start feeding them green water or egg emulsion.

Make sure that you have snails in the tank to act as cleaners.

Water change about 25% water each day for max. growth, and make sure of the water parameters, being the same as in the breeders (fry) tank.

As soon as possible, get the fry onto BBS, a most invaluable item for raising any fry.

Alan 104

Hiya. When i bred them bred them in a small tank. Set up a sponge filter then conditioned the water etc etc. I went to the fabric shop and brought some mosquito netting and put it in the tank so it was a big net basically. This netting allowed the eggs to fall out of harms way. I used 6 zebra danios as the like small groups and put them into the net .Have the net 2-3 inches into the water. Feed them up on white worms on god flake. Hope that helps Let me know how it goes.

When talking breeding: I've come across the phrase: 'when you condition them' or 'conditioning them' quite often now. Could anybody enlighten me and tell me what this means and how it works :oops: Thank you :bow:

evilknieval69: We're trying our luck with some Danios too... I'm not a pro but from all the things I've been reading in the forum and online, I'd say that what you have done and what the others suggested is spot on.

I think the marbles are a very effective method because they should stress the fish a lot less compared to some breeding contraption like those small breeding tank-in-tank things :D I'm sure they are great too though.

Apart from that, even though that surely isn't a crucial factor for a breeding tank, I'd say that either marbles, pebbles or java-moss would make the tank also look nicer.

hey kim and dan. two different ppl have talked about conditioning. one thing you have to do is condition the water,as in get all the parameters right and temp. etc etc etc. then you have to condition the breeders.seperate them a week before hand and feed them up on high quality food each day. for example white worms and good flake or blood worms etc.etc. :D

P.S. i will let every body know how im going as im breeding them. thanks for all your help :hail::bow::hail::bow: :bounce:

Seeings as you want details on conditioning, it means...

for water:

right temp

pH

kH

clean

possibly adding peat

(research the requirements and tricks for breeding them via google)

for feeding:

live foods (microworm, white worms, wingless fruit flies - LFS can help here or trademe)

frozen foods

good quality flake

Often conditioning also means seperating males and females, such as with tetras. But with danios I believe they breed so readily you can just condition them as above and they will breed. Of course you will want to have them in a dedicated breeding tank so other fish or the parents don't eat the eggs and fry.

Hope this helps

I transferred some plants over to another tank and ended up with 40 of the little beggers because they had laid in the plants.

Took a week of waiting patiently and scooping them out with a cup!? (I had no turkey baster or anything at that stage)

They are annoying to breed, because of the eggs, but breed easily.

Thanks for the explanations guys!

I don't know what we're doing wrong then... probably we're just too impatient! :roll:

All the parameters, both water and food, are fine and our female Danio has quite a large belly but she just won't lay the eggs? I guess we'll just keep waiting :)