electromagnetic air pump

shiuh

I use the Plassay Watering type hose.. (20mm) .. plus the small screw in barbs that they use for attaching the spray heads and such.

These just push into the soft tube and then you screw them in, which makes a tight seal.

The other end of the barb is perfect for the aquarium type hose and will give endless trouble free service.

Need another outlet..?

Just screw in another barb he he.

(Must go check how my Plassay shares are doing :) )

I wouldn't touch one of those with a barge pole.

In my opinion, for their size, they are one of the noisiest pumps I have seen.

Our LFS had one, and because of the noise, had to cut a hole in the wall to put it in another room.

Only a carbon vane pump I have was worse.

For that I built a small insulated dog-box outside the fishroom to house it.

The hose I used was normal garden hose, but I have just put in another 18m using the same system as Bill.

Alan 104

Hi Shiuh,

You ask:

by watering type hose do you mean irragation types hose? not sure of how would these connect to the pump. whats the diameter of the outlet pump? 20mm?

The pipe is from the Plassay Watering System range, that is available at most hardware and garden centres.

It is a black hose with a thin wall that is easily penetrated by the barbs mentioned above.

On my particular system, I just made a converter connection to suit the pump I was using.. which was salvaged from a freezer unit.

I could have added another hundred outlets, and it would still have coped with it.. but then I downsized and shut a lot of tanks down, so I reverted to several large double diaphram pumps... but still used the Plassay pipe outlets.. except now some were blocked off.

Just a note on the compressors from fridge units.

Because of the Freezone (or whatever it is called).. they should not be emptied by any other person than the people who re-gas fridges.. as they have the means to dispose of the gas safely... as it is an environmental hazzard.

Also.. the air coming from these type compressors is at high pressure.. enough to pump truck tires up.. which we do on occasions.. so they are not really suitable for just the odd ten tanks or so.

The air also needs to go through a purifying stage before it is suitable for using in the aquariums.

The beauty of these is that they are almost silent.

My bet is that's got you drooling Shiuh :):)

Bill.

are you all using this kind of pumps?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 290680.htm

by watering type hose do you mean irragation types hose? not sure of how would these connect to the pump. whats the diameter of the outlet pump? 20mm?

I have one of those, works fine. They don't seem to deal with a lot of backpressure well, but that's not a big problem. It's quieter than the diaphragm pump it was replacing and flows a couple times as much, if it's not dealing with a lot of backpressure.