How do I change aquarium gravel?

Stella

Hello!

I am newish here, not exactly new to fish keeping, but becoming more and more obsessive about our native fish. We have had them for at least six months.

We currently have standard, shop-bought aquarium gravel, but I am wanting to make the tank more native and natural and to me the gravel is standing out quite badly, all quartzy and generic. I would like to change it for gravel in a local stream.

Vital Stats:

Tank: 75cm long x35x35

Undergravel filter powered by airstone at one end and powerhead at other.

Shark internal filter

1 HUGE Inanga

4 Koaro

3 new tiny bullies

1 nasty looking cray

1 shrimp, rarely seen, who knows if he even exists between sightings...

How would I go about this without completely starting again?

I would imagine I would need to 'innoculate' the new gravel with tank water and try to develop the bacteria in there for a while. Then do a mammoth effort and remove/replace/refill, using as much old water as possible. Then try to be really good with super regular water changes for a while until all is back to normal.

How could I make sure I wasnt putting any wild nasties into the tank with the new gravel?

This may be a long-term project (need to convince my partner who co-owns it ;) but I think the tank would look a whole lot better and more natural.

I have tried googling, but could find little. It seems a pretty major thing to do and I imagine there would be some tricks.

Thanks in advance

Stella,

You could always try adding another colour gravel on top of your existing gravel, it would have to be a reasonable layer so it doesn't get mixed up when you gravel vac.

Places like Stone & Water world in Ellerslie have a good range of different colours.

If you do use wild caught gravel :o LOL it would pay to give it a very good rinse in a bucket and possibly even boil it to make sure any nastys are dead.

Definitely rinse it and definitely boil it.

But then you are probably getting your fish from a stream also?

I don't there is a good way to innoculate the tank completely (as in no cycling at all) but you could put a bag (made of netting or something) of the old gravel in there until it has had a chance to get up to speed.

The usual advice is "a handful of gravel", but this is to help cycling, not eliminate it.

I'd give the new gravel a good wash and perhaps boil it if I was concerned about the source.

Then I'd work quickly - move all the fish and most of their water into another container or tank, remove all the gravel and the remaining water, then rebuild tank and add the fish and their water back. I'd also try to find a way to keep the internal filter running during this process so the good bacteria don't die.

It would be a lot of work but would ensure you didn't release any bad stuff into the water. You probably would have to do frequent small water changes after that just to be on the safe side.

If I couldn't be bothered with all that fuss I'd clean or boil the gravel then do the change in several small stages - scoop out an area of the old gravel and replace it - wait a few days then repeat the process until its all done.

Cheers

Jude

Once again we have a new member who does not say the area they are from.

I personally would like to see this a compulsory field to be entered.

Why I say that is that people in your area could give you a hand with spare tanks etc.

Any water that you will be replacing with will need to be aged, but there again, we don't know where you are or your areas water quality.

If you wish to do it in stages, cut some small dividers, two of them, plunge into the gravel and remove the area required until all the base has been done.

Or do as Jude says, rip it all out and rebuild.

Make sure you have every thing sussed out before you move though.

Don't handle your scaleless fish in nets, they tend to get white-spot very easily, capture them in a container with water in it, watch out for their jumping skills too.

Alan 104

I got a 2cm diameter tube, approx 1.5m long and stuck it into my gravel as it was siphoning and sucked out the gravel this way. Every so often you will need to empty your gravel collecting buckets of water, as a bit of water comes out as well. depending on the size of your tank, you might need to top up your tank as well, using the water from the buckets.

Once again we have a new member who does not say the area they are from.

I personally would like to see this a compulsory field to be entered.

Alan 104

Um...sorry, I didnt think my location was at all useful. I know newbies can be annoying, but I had tried to put in all the details I thought were relevant...

Some interesting ideas all. Thankyou.

Alan, I am surprised that scaleless fish are more prone to damage by nets... I would have thought scales coming off would have been worse! I shall bear it in mind in the future.

This sounds like a fabulous excuse for a new tank. Tanks are relatively cheap if you get them made at a glass place or buy second hand. That way you could set up your new tank as you want it, cycle it properly and start agin, then you will have a spare tank for a new look/quarantine/breeding/species/spa bath etc

Yeehaa :bounce:

Yo Stella, now we know where you are.

Also the members in Palmie know that they have another person that is in their area that may need help at short notice,

and are prepared to help.

Fishie ppl are like that.

Another reason is that we can now tell you that there is a FNZAS affiliated club at Palmie as well.

When I was in the fresh water native fish club years ago, we found that out when we were fishing for our new tank inhabitants,

and we always carried Furason (spp??) so as the catch bag could be dosed when catching.

Alan 104

Hi, Stella,

I found that at the gardening center on Cook street (in Palmerston North) they sell river sand that makes very nice looking gravel if washed (it was something like $6 for a rather large, very heavy bag). This is much cheaper than the gravel they sell at Wet Pets (and much more "native"). I also suspect that this river sand can be collected for free, e.g., under the bridge over Manawatu river that's on the way to Massey. I'm not sure if it would work with undergravel filters, though.

With your native fish, are you using tap water?