Discus Advice Please

Darryl Mcg

I have a community : 3 clown loaches, 2 opaline gouramis, 10 neons, 3 rummy noses, 3 corys, 2 f/foxes, ? khuli loaches, 2 bristle nose, and aprox 12 platys (ranging from new born to adult.) They are housed in my only tank, a 215L AR980. It has been established for a year and is well planted, and sorted.

Out of curiosity I brought an Eheim 2213 external filter and added it in combination with the AR980 setup. The water clarity basicaly transformed overnight, (not that it was poor before). This was the trigger to go buy that 1st Discus. Having purchased a red ??. (looks like a Marlboro Red) but is a bit brighter. He has been introduced to the tank and has been there 48hrs.

After studying the situation closely I was pleased to see all fish were in harmony and had accepted the discus. The discus has serenely surveyed the tank and looks at ease. What I have realised is he doesn't appear to eat the flake or pallet food I use. He showed interest in frozen bloodworm (but as I feed that in a feeder to stop the platys gutsing it all,) he doesn't seem to have figured out how the feeder cone works.

What is a practical, sufficient diet for a single discus living amongst platys?. Be gratefull for some feed back,

Darryl

i would say you need to setup more than one feeding trap. So hopefully all your originals will go to that one and your discus will see the new one.

Diet can be what ever you make it as things like dicsus pellets are just as healthy for them now as meat mix.

I would try frozen brineshimp and a meatmix aswell because you need it to sink to the bottom because the discus graze for about an hour. That means they don't need to get in first like the guppies and demolish everything.

The otherway to find out what he likes is to ask who you got him from what they fed him and do the same.

Discus don't often eat for the first day or two. This all depends on the age/size of the discus, and younger discus will often feed almost immediately (sufficing there is no transport shock/stress). If your discus is hesitant eating, I strongly recommend white worms as they are hands down the favourite food of discus. Otherwise, try thawing one of the blocks of frozen bloodworms and feeding using an eye dropper. This will squirt the worms in the direction of the discus and will hopefully prompt him to feed.

Jammos is completely spot on with the grazing info. There should be JBL NovoBits and frozen discus tucker readily available at your LFS. Between white worms, novoBits and frozen foods your discus should be very happy in the new tank. Enjoy your discus and good luck!

Hi , first of all what is the temp of the tank? Discus like to be in the range of 28-30 .

A single discus in a tank is too lonely for the poor fish cos discus are schooling fish and so they do better in a group of 6-8.

Color bit is a good pellet which the discus will eat.

Keep an eye on the flying fox cos' they will annoy the discus by latching on to them.

Cardinal, Rummynose, bristalnose, loaches are allright with discus cos' they can handle the higher temp. Personally I would't put Gourami and Platty in with discus.

Hope that help and happy fish keeping.

Ronnie

The discus is eating frozen "Discus Tucker" . I feed the others first, give them a little blood worm and then empty the thawed discus block into the tank. The discus loses his shyness and comes right on out, and yes he does take a while to eat his fill. What he leaves dissapears over the next couple of hours.

Will definitely get the colour bits and discus pallets as well. My water has been steady on 29-30deg for a while, so thats good to know. My PH is 6.4-6.6 and is so because that is the ph of the rainwater tank that I use for their water.

Thanks for the replies

Darryl

• 6 months later...

Darryl, I know this is an old post but I am also looking at getting some discus and placing them in a community tank, can you update us on the health of the discus as I have been advised they will not do so well unless you have 5 of them to school together. Have you added any more discus?

Describe your water conditions?

Cheers