Insect Repellant and Fish Tanks

Jazsaxman

Hi All, living in a semirural setting with lots of horses and cattle around we have a problem with flies during summer. Cant seem to find those sticky fly strips for sale anymore and was considering trying one of these automatic Robocan pyrethein extract cans. It suggests placing away from fish tanks but i was wondering what sort of levels would have to build up in water over what sort of period of time before it became hazardous to fish.

Anyone had any experiences?

From what i understand it's not so much poisoning the water as the pyrethrin leaves an oily film on the water surface stopping the oxygen exchange and suffocating the fish, plants etc.

Not to say it's safe in water but i wouldn't use it in the same room my tanks are in.

I use a Robocan in the same room as the fishtank and it has been there for at least a year and this is one with the high concentration of pyrethrim. The tank is well covered and sited at the opposite end of the room with no problems. Doesn't aggravate my asthma either!! Sooner have the Robocan than flies and their germs everywhere...cant bear the thought of a fly sitting on dog faeces (or a nice ripe carcass) then tap dancing around the kitchen..... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe try making a fly trap? We were in Dunedin last week and went to see the albatross where the rangers protect the eggs and chicks with these. They are jars filled with attractant with tops that let the flies in. The attractant they used was Speights but I'm sure any beer would work, even a nasty North Island beer. I guess the flies go down to the beer , get all wet and can't fly out? They use these outside and apparently they are effective so it may be worth a try. Should be even more effective inside.

Damo.

get the stuff that you spray on your window sills. it honestly kills flies and bugs for a year.

I think the last two suggestions are great. Especially the fly trap - I had wondered what the attractant was and where you can get it. If beer works, that would be brilliant!? No poisons and cheap. Better than robo-poisoner...

I know farmers and so forth use large versions with the sticky liquid that dissolves the flies. I even remember seeing a story years ago on there being a bounty on green bottles etc.

Any home-made projects on making one of these using softdrink bottles?? We use to make fish catchers out of them, why not fly catchers! :)

There is a good poison you can get from mitre 10 apparently called fly rid or bug rid or something. You can spray or paint it on the house.

I would suggest painting it in your fish room, spray it elsewhere.

And of course Google knows all:

Article on (plastic bottle!) fly traps use in Africa to help stop fly infections in humans:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/841786.stm

Trap Design:

http://www.lilbeginnings.com/links/info/misc/

Although it might be better to have the entrance in the bottom of the trap, since the flies will try to fly to the light (upwards) to get out. (apparently) Some of the fly catchers I have seen seem to use this method with wire mesh, but plastic bags work also...

Here is a another idea for fly bait:

1/4 cup of. Vinegar

1/4 cup of. sugar

Water

Another suggested just the sugar and a piece of meat in it so it rots.

In africa they use goat droppings and cow urine mixed together. :)

The wonderful world of fly catching.

Oh my that poor child :(:(

Or you could move close to Canada's worst toxic site...found since I lived here...don't see too many flies! I don't know if that is really why I just tell people that...but seriously, since I moved in Sydney not many flies at all. Only once, I had this infestation of house flies...but that was it!

I found the biggest problem here in the summer is the earwigs...yuk...do you have them there?

So...not just insectant repellant though...I guess you'd have to be careful with any spray, correct?

We have those sticky fly traps here...just scoot over & get some :-? :lol: