sps and low cal alk

Drifty

Low alk generally shows up as tissue thinning, leading to patches of slow recession, starting anywhere on the coral.

If left, RTN can result, but corals usually don't RTN straight away due to low alk, unless something else is wrong.

Low calcium can be less of a problem than alk, growth is retarded below about 350 for many corals, I guess lower than this will cause similar problems to low alk?

Layton

I used it a few years ago. Can't say I saw any difference in the tank.

IMO the main thing is to keep calcium and alkalinity right, do water changes, and skim at max to remove nasties. Just that alone will be enough.

But to get a bit extra zing, if it's a softy/LPS tank, dose a bit of Reef Solutions. And if there's a decent amount of SPS, keep MG in line.

If wanting good coraline also monitor and dose strontium, but it's not essential.

Anything after that may make small differences but not big ones.

But everybody finds there own little tricks / additives, that work for them, no harm in a little experimentation provided it's in moderation and the basic parameters are kept right.

i got rtn on one of my acro's right now but alk is ok on about 8.5. its the one acro that had a stream on 100% pointing directly at it for about 3 months, now all of a sudden its decided it doesnt like it and started to RTN up one side. incidentally that same side thats RTN got some brown algae/diatom growth on it hard core so maybe it smothered the zoox?

RTN = rapid tissue necrosis

STN = slow tissue necrosis

TN = tissue necrosis

For us, the terms refer to tissue death and peeling on sps corals. RTN will often advance so fast you can almost see it, and can kill an entire coral in as little as a few hours. STN will advance slowly, there will be a dead bit, and this may advance by a millemeter or two a day.

TN is used as a general description for any tissue necrosis