Brianemone's 504"litre" sps reef

Brianemone

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a litle tidy up in the tank last night, vacuumed the bottom with a syphon going into a little basket of filter wool in the sump, got a good amount of gunk out of the tank.

i also cleaned off the back of the tank wall just because i felt like it, i changed the bulb on my MH so i should have any more problems with that (water quality is alot better now as well)

well i had my first loss in the new tank(at least i think i have)

i had a very small frag right under the MH that was starting to colour up and since i replaced the bulb last week i noticed it was lightening a bit but i didnt move it in time and it has rtn'd :(

oh well, everything else has done well and in the next few weeks i hope to get up some pics of the improved colouration

I've just finished designing a new Pico that I will be posting there it will be 2 litre main and I'm seriously thinking about what filter to use, it might disturb a few people. my main concern is PH from Co2 at night and that type of filter takes care of it as it grows at night at a far higher rate compared to other algae types.

I'll let you know when I start.

That tank of yours look greats keep it up.

I have always believed that the better reefers are the one's who can mantain the smallest inviroment and succeed.

Having a big tank is the easy way out.

I think Control is into what were called algae turf scrubbers. The one I saw ( many years ago ) used hair algae.

Control may do it different, but the one I saw had a large shallow pan, over which highly aerated water flowed. Hair algae was growing in the pan in a dense mat, and was shaved off periodically. The pan was more brightly lit than the tank, to encourage faster growth of hair algae in the scrubber, than in the tank.

I think Control is into what were called algae turf scrubbers. The one I saw ( many years ago ) used hair algae.

Hell no, the algaes are known as turf algaes and are from the top level of the reefs there are a few of them but hair algae is not one of them that I would use. Some of you may already have them in your tanks and not even know it.

They require such intence light that if they get in the tank they don't tend to servive and are slow to reproduce. They consume waste at a similar speed to a skimmer. unfortunatly they don't remove debris.