Brineshrimp hatcher

alanmin4304

Atatched (hopefully) is a diagramn of a brineshrimp hatcher which gives clean shrimp the easy way. Eggs in one end and shrimps out the other. It is a tank 450 x 300 x 300 with three baffles but could be bigger or smaller depending on your needs. The lid and whole tank are painted black except for an area at one end at the bottom which has a light to attract the shrimps. the unhatched eggs and shells are left behind and the shrimps are removed with a dip tube and seived. Element and aeration at input end and put some eggs in each time you take shrimp out.

v%7Boption%7D

I have no problem posting pictures on trademe, how come this is such a challenge? Perhaps I should make one and sell it. I did a course on computers but it was unfortunately not an obstacle course.

As you type a msg click the Img* button then paste the link from your browsers window where the picture is then without a space click the Img* button again. Keep trying and if it does not work, just edit the post and try again. PM me if you are getting stuck. GL

Here's another method that I designed in the early '70's

HATCHER.jpg

There are many methods to hatch these little guys, but if you need large amounts for both your fry and for growing on for your larger fish, then this is a proven method that works for me.

To clarify. The eggs go ONLY in the left hand side. All four sides and top of the left hand partition are blacked out with either dark paint or card. Partition is also of darkened plastic and is best if completely sealed for optimum results. Store your eggs in a cool place, and always in a sealed container.

To harvest the shrimp.

Turn off the air and allow to settle, then open the flap and put a bright light opposite the hole to draw the shrimp through the hole towards the light, then siphon off as needed. Allow around ten minutes to settle and all egg cases will be at the surface, while the live shrimp will be at the lower areas. Good shrimp cysts will hatch in 12 to 18 hrs at 27degC. Remove and grow on if needed as per article on my site. Salinity is as normal sea water, (SG. 1.022) but not critical if slightly higher. The addition of 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda will assist with the hatch, but don't add to the growing on tank. Take care not to overfeed the growing shrimp, as the water will pollute quickly if you do. Green water (algae) is a good food source, so having your growing on tank in sunlight will help.