natural salt water

warick hearn

The ocean is such a huge place, that there is probably zero theronts in the water column anyway.

It may be fine to dump in straight away.

However after three weeks, I reckon I could guarantee Zero theronts.

The only way you are likely to get parasites directly while pumping are if you are near a fish swimming area.

And then if one or two fish swam by whilst you were pumping, what are the chances of them having a cyst that has just dropped off immediately as they swim by.

I have 500 litres storage containment uphill from my tank, so storage is no issue.

Stored water is better IMO.

I dont want plankton and other stuff which will more than likely die after 3 or 4 weeks.

Layton, this isnt an argument, some of us have valid reasons which should be obvious to you. However each to their own.

You must be able to see why some of us prefer this.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ocean is such a huge place, that there is probably zero theronts in the water column anyway.

However after three weeks, I reckon I could guarantee Zero theronts.

Really? How could you claim that?

The only way you are likely to get parasites directly while pumping are if you are near a fish swimming area.

What about intermediate hosts. Copepods etc? Parasites with longer life cycles?

And then if one or two fish swam by whilst you were pumping, what are the chances of them having a cyst that has just dropped off immediately as they swim by.

So what's the point in a withholding period if collected water is expected to be low in parasites anyway?

I have 500 litres storage containment uphill from my tank, so storage is no issue.

Stored water is better IMO.

Layton, this isnt an argument, some of us have valid reasons which should be obvious to you. However each to their own.

You must be able to see why some of us prefer this.

That's fine, store the water, don't store the water, it doesn't bother me. All I'm disputing is that three weeks is going to significantly reduce parasite numbers.

Layton

Real men get NSW into their tanks as soon as possible. I bypass the whole heating thing and try and get it into the tank within 30mins. Anything over 2hrs adds 5 points to the wussy scale, over a week and your a nancy, anything over 2 weeks and your Richard Simons. I consider myself the Andew Dice Clay of NSW users.

My tank is a time bomb anyway so I figure any harm done is only going to speed up the doomsday clock.

Quoted out of context yet again.

Funny how you have to resort to making things up...

I see nothing funny about it at all, nor did I make anything up, unless you mean that I am wrong when I said the ocean is really really big, still I am sure you can find a link proving me wrong.

Its like watching a 9 year old boy stomp his feet when he doesn't get his own way. "waaa waaaaa mummy the big ugly men are being mean to me waaa waaa"

Big Daddy Pie

Real men get NSW into their tanks as soon as possible. I bypass the whole heating thing and try and get it into the tank within 30mins. Anything over 2hrs adds 5 points to the wussy scale, over a week and your a nancy, anything over 2 weeks and your Richard Simons. I consider myself the Andew Dice Clay of NSW users.

:lol:

This thread is nuts, I can't believe I just put myself through the torture of reading it.

Cracker

The parasites in the but of my nieghbours dog would have a greater chance of infecting your tank.

If your that worried about it put it through a UV or Ozone it for a couple of cycles.

If you leave it you must keep it cycling, what do you think happens to the water as everything falls to the bottom and dies, it decomposses and causes unnessesary problems in the water, wasted live food that your tank should be getting.

I only keep and store water as a backup for when I don't like the condition of the water in the ocean or can't be bothered going to get it.

I change this as much as I change my tank

I'm going to try and find a liquid that will get rid of the pain I now have in my head from reading this post.

I don't think I've got anything strong enougth.